Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding a216 wcb to mild steel
- - By DrewSwelds Date 05-23-2018 13:21
Hi everyone. I'm working on a project that involves retrofitting some new oil valves so that they work with our outdated valve bodies. It's a stopgap until we can get all of the valves replaced. My question is this: can you weld cast steel 1.0619+N to to mild steel? Unfortunately the valves came from a European vendor, the grade is equivalent to A216 WCB. The plate I want to weld it to is A36. I've seen sites that say A216 is weldable with a 7018 rod, but I can't find any info on welding cast to plate. Thanks in advance.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-25-2018 04:31
Look at the chemistry of the steel casting. Calculate the carbon equivalency and minimum preheat per the method listed in the Annex of D1.1.

As long as the chemistry is favorable and sufficient preheat is used, welding it to A36 should be fine. I would match the electrode to the lower strength base metal. Typically a low hydrogen electrode that has been properly stored should be used and should work just fine.

Without more explicit details, a more detailed recommendation is nothing more than a roll of the dice.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding a216 wcb to mild steel