Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.1 Compliance?
- - By bboehler Date 06-02-2003 15:06
I work for a maker of aerial work platforms and our governing standard, ANSI A96.2 states that our weldments must conform to D1.1. We are currently CWB certified to W47.1 Division 2.1. I believe that we are therefore already compliant with D1.1, but I am looking for some assurance.

The way I read D1.1 there is no need for us to employ welders certified as per QC7-93, or even a certified welding engineer. (???)

There is a requirement for inspection, but at the minimum, 6.1.3.1 (3) we could assign this function to someone competent in our organization.

The bottom line is, the way I read the standard, as long as we document welder qualification and weld types for WPS qualification, we will comply.

Am I correct, or way off base?

Any help would be appreciated.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 06-03-2003 16:24
You have a tough question to answer there. I'm not familiar with CWB W47.1 so I can't be sure but, on the surface, it sounds like you are headed on the right direction in that you don't have to employ a welding engineer. D1.1 does not require one.
If your welder qualification program has all the elements needed to comply with AWS D1.1 then you don't need to go any further for your welders. All your testing can be done in-house; no need to have an agency qualification.
Where you might have some difficulties is the other sections of D1.1, such as General requirements, Design of Welded Joints, Prequalification, Fabrication and so on. If your existing criteria meets or exceeds minimum, you are all set (but you know that already). I would modify your written practices to highlight equalities and address the differences between the codes so that reviewers can more easier see D1.1 compliance (and make it easier for you too).
Likely, you have everything in place already. You might need to simply add references to forms and records.

Chet Guilford

Parent - By bboehler Date 06-03-2003 16:34
Thanks for the reply. I believe we are OK, once we do a detailed analysis to outline differences.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.1 Compliance?