Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / A question for an AWS guru
- - By dshaw2 Date 06-02-2003 16:58
What section of AWS would best apply to the welding of "weld beads" on the interior surface of 6' and 7' diameter pipe (1 1/2" thick walls)? The only information provided for the 'weld' are dimensions (1/2" wide by 1/3" tall), and that it is to be field welded...the provisions refer to AWS D1.1, and overwhelmingly relate to splicing? any ideas?
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 06-02-2003 21:16
In my opinion, but I might be wrong, a 6 feet diameter pipe should be treated as a vessel rather than a pipe.
The possibilities are two:
a) it is subjected to an internal pressure of 10 psig or more, or to external pressure, in which case it would fall under ASME VIII,
b) it is subjected to an internal pressure of less than 10 psig, in which case API 650 should be taken as a guide. Sure, API 650 applies to oil and oil products atmospheric storage tanks, but it contains a lot of welding considerations, and you can use it as a guide, as I said.
If the pipe contains water, then you can follow AWWA D100.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By dshaw2 Date 06-02-2003 21:56
thanks for the reply.....the 'pipe' is actually used as a pile foundation for a bridge, a Cast-in-Steel-shell pile, to be precise... and these 'weld bead' rings are welded at 300 mm spacing on the top 6 m of the pile:
| |
| |D <-- weld bead at 300 mm spacing on interior of pile
| |
\_ 1 1/2" wall of 6' dia

(hope that turns out)

Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 06-02-2003 22:32
My little company does some pile related welding but I'm not sure what you mean by "weld bead rings". If I understand correctly, you are not talking about splices? Are these rings functioning as mud lugs? If you could explain a little more about the rings I might be of some help or more likely know someone that will.

regards,
JTMcC.
Parent - - By dshaw2 Date 06-02-2003 23:43
JTMcC -

true - I am not talking about splices....we are splicing these piles as part of the contract, too - but the specifications are pretty clear with regards to splicing....'mud lugs' I guess would be a relatively appropriate description - my guess is the designer included them to increase the connection strength between the steel shell pile and the concrete filling material - we are already in the process of installing the weld beads - the owner, however, is making acceptance difficult by requiring visual acceptance to be in accordance with various parts of AWS D1.1 - as the contractor, we feel this is unfair since it is not a fillet or a groove weld, and profile control is much more difficult - which begs the question - what type of weld is it? and what part of AWS should be applied?
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 06-02-2003 23:51
OK then, can you describe them to me ? I'm a little thick headed, but I invisioned this as a ring that would be fillet welded to the inside of the caisson? Evidently not. It does have to be some describeable type of weld tho. You're right on the mud lugs, they're to increase grip between steel & concrete.

JTMcC.
Parent - By dshaw2 Date 06-03-2003 13:35
The "picture" I drew in the previous message is essentially all we were given in the project plans - there was a detail that showed dimensions (12mm at base by 8mm tall), and a note that indicated that it was to be field welded (which according to the provisions of the contract is defined as any welding that takes place after a certificate of compliance is provided for the pile) - but as far as the actual production - we were able to produce the 'weld' in one pass, getting about 6-7 inches of weld bead per minute - but you are correct in that we did not fillet weld any wire or rebar to the inside of the pile - and you are certainly seeing my problem - to my knowledge (which is rather limited in AWS), there IS no describeable weld here, and nothing, in my opinion, in AWS applies to this 'weld'.... the owner also required us to use only a prequalified WPS (no WPS could be qualified because there are no established tests for this weld), current, vots, and travel speeds had to be within the manufacturer's recommedations, welders had to qualify according to AWS D1.1 for a groove weld....and (for the D1.5 comment below), the specifications required the filler metal to meet the requirements of AWS D1.5 for A709 Grade 50 steel...... another question - is this 'weld bead' considered filler metal? or is it the 'other' base metal in the 'connection'?
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 06-03-2003 13:59
Well, in this case, it's for sure a structural welding and neither ASME VIII nor API 650 apply.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 06-05-2003 03:54
This seems more a building-up process. Perhaps there is some help for you in whatever code refers to the repair of construction equipment.
Bill
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 06-05-2003 18:13
Good idea. The AISC (American Institute of Steel Construction) has issued a lot of Recommended Practices.
You`ll find them at www.aisc.com
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By rpoche (*) Date 06-02-2003 22:47
This may be a question you should direct to the designer or EOR of the project. It is most likely he/she has specific intentions for the weld/welding of this joint and needs to provide more details for you to perform the work.

Without all the information available, you may receive mis-information.

Robert
Parent - By Wildturkey (**) Date 06-03-2003 12:30
What about the D1.5 Bridge code?....it tends to be a little more forgiving in areas that D1.1 does not
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / A question for an AWS guru