Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / M - Numbers
- - By Scone Date 05-31-2018 04:01
What are M - Numbers,  the same as P - Numbers, If not what is the difference? :confused:
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-31-2018 13:59
P numbers are base metal groups that have similar welding characteristics, i.e., carbon equivalency etc., and are approved for the construction of vessels and piping per the ASME codes.

M numbers are similar, but include materials that are not approved for the construction of pressure vessels or piping systems per the ASME codes. The base metals listed in each AWS group (M number) is more extensive than the ASME P number groups, but it doesn't mean they can be substituted one for another due to differences in processing and the resulting mechanical properties.

Al
Parent - - By jimstucker Date 08-09-2019 22:42
I've spent a considerable amount of time searching for information about A numbers and F numbers.
I sure would like to know where to find information about A Numbers, and F Numbers for Electrode Groups. 

AND, I could also use  help with explaining the Filler metals of alloy group B3, B3L, B4, B4L, B5, B5L,,, as listed Table 3.2 note "a" in the D1.1/D1.M:2015 on page 56.

For some reason, this information is pretty hard to find.  A "google" search doesn't seem to get me anywhere.
I think I should also ask about definitive information regarding P numbers and M numbers as well.

And, how are these elusive group numbers different that the group numbers used in Tables 3.1 (Approved Base Metals), and 3.2 (Filler Metals for Matching Strength to Table 3.1)

Thanks
Jim
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-10-2019 01:01
I've spent a considerable amount of time searching for information about A numbers and F numbers.
I sure would like to know where to find information about A Numbers, and F Numbers for Electrode Groups.

It would be helpful to know what welding standard you are working with.

AWS B2.1 and ASME Section IX addresses both A numbers and F numbers in more detail than AWS D1.1. Basically, D1.1 only addresses F1, F2, F3, and F4 for shielded metal arc electrodes. D1.1 does not address A numbers.

AND, I could also use  help with explaining the Filler metals of alloy group B3, B3L, B4, B4L, B5, B5L,,, as listed Table 3.2 note "a" in the D1.1/D1.M:2015 on page 56.

The suffix designations are extensions of the F4 shielded metal arc electrodes. They designate alloy additions to the flux covering. They do not affect the F numbers.

For some reason, this information is pretty hard to find.  A "google" search doesn't seem to get me anywhere.
I think I should also ask about definitive information regarding P numbers and M numbers as well.

M numbers are used by AWS B2.1. P numbers are used by ASME Section IX. Both are used to group base metals based on their carbon equivalent or alloy.

And, how are these elusive group numbers different that the group numbers used in Tables 3.1 (Approved Base Metals), and 3.2 (Filler Metals for Matching Strength to Table 3.1)

D1.1 only deals with low carbon and high strength low alloy steels, so they use a simplified system to group those base metals. Again, the groupings are essentially based on carbon equivalents.

ASME Section IX and AWS B21. deal with both ferrous and nonferrous metals, thus both have adopted a system that encompasses both.

Attempting to compare Groups, P numbers, and M numbers, while similar in some regards, each includes different material specification that may or may not appear in all three systems.

Al
- - By Rene Torres Date 10-10-2018 04:02
What P-Number or group Number is the material AISI 1030 ??
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-14-2018 01:06
AISI steels are not assigned P numbers for the simple reason that AISI steels have no published requirements for the mechanical properties. Without the mechanical properties, one never knows whether the welded samples meet the tensile requirements of the code.

AISI only specifies the chemistry. There are no requirements for the state of heat treat, no statement regarding hot rolled or cold rolled, so again, how would one know whether a sample cut from the PQR test assembly passed or failed?

Al
Parent - By rosevilleseo Date 10-23-2018 06:23
Thanks
Parent - By Rene Torres Date 10-24-2018 01:57
Thanks sir. For your Support
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / M - Numbers