Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / All around fillet welding
- - By SAYoung Date 06-06-2018 18:29
I'm a detailer for a fabrication facility and our QC is questioning a weld symbol. Can someone please help me out.  I have a plate wrapped 1/2 way around a HSS column and the symbol used all around fillet weld near side. Now does that mean fillet weld on one side of the plate, or all around the edge of the plate (both sides)?
Attachment: allaroundweld.pdf - all around weld (907k)
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-06-2018 21:43
I see the 3D sketch, but no symbol. A fillet weld symbol on the plan view with three arrows pointing to the three sides would be less ambiguous.

If you have to ask, the symbol fails its primary mission.

Al
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-06-2018 21:55 Edited 06-06-2018 21:57
I would be afraid to send that to a shop because they may interpret your symbol to mean only one side of the plate due to the single side fillet weld symbol. While technically you could say that your symbol could mean weld all around, I doubt that you would get two welders to agree on what you want to happen.

I think that you need to show a double sided fillet weld symbol to make sure your plate is welded on both sides of the plate.(if that is the intention)

AWS A2.4:2012 has a few examples shown on page 14 and 15 in Fig. 8.
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 06-07-2018 11:38
Yikes!
You are Wright John (hehe).

The gusset also throws me for a loop. 
My interpretation would be all around the plate,  include the gusset, and underside all around the tube.
Since there's only one weld symbol, the other identical plate would be left unwelded.

Bad, bad weld detailing.

Tyrone
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-07-2018 13:47
"Since there's only one weld symbol, the other identical plate would be left unwelded."- quote

In the detailing world, if the plate had the same pcMk, the detailer doesn't really need to add a welding symbol to the other identical plate. In today's copy and paste drafting/detailing, it wouldn't take that much time.

...but back when you were adding weld symbols with HB graphite while your drawing was taped down to your board, you limited your pencil strokes to only what was absolutely necessary. My old Chief Draftsman would give you down in the country for putting "too much info" on your shop drawing. He would say "make it so a 5yo can understand it but, keep it simple stupid. He didn't like extra things cluttering up a shop drawing.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-08-2018 11:18
On a side note:
Do you use that paddle plate/shear tab configuration often and do you ever have fitting issues in the field with having both paddle plates welded on in the shop? Do you detail some extra room in and "wire to ship" extra shims to go under the bottom flange of the beam? Just wondering how you account for beam over/under run because the depth of rolled sections today varies so much more than it used to.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-07-2018 12:52
The 3-D image doesn't appear to indicate a double fillet weld from what I can see.

Al
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-07-2018 13:37
Al,
I didn't realize that the 3-D image showed the actual fillet weld...but I see what you are seeing now.
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 06-07-2018 16:28
Hmmm.  Going by the 3-D image the gusset doesn't come into play and the plate is welded on three sides (not all-around).
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 06-08-2018 12:37
That's what I was looking at as well. A single fillet on the top of one gusset and on the bottom of the other. To avoid all confusion and misinterpretation and achieve the desired weld outcome I really don't see a way around using two symbols. If "Typical" is added in to the tail of the symbol what would indicate that the bottom of the other gusset gets welded and not the top? Due to the gusset encompassing three sides of the tube the all around symbol is not needed and only adds to the confusion. The fillet weld symbol itself will indicate all three sides being welded. IMHO of course.

jrw159
- - By Mdadnan.aslam Date 03-15-2019 08:22
I am an estimation Engineer and want to calculate welding cost on a joint basis.

How to calculate welding cost of the pipe by joint basis.
ITEM SIZE  SCH #   DWG #   "No. Of Joints  "Shop Weld( Joint #)"  "Field Weld( Joint #)"  MAT' CLASS  " Shop Weld(SR/Joint)"  "FieldWeld(SR/Joint)"  "Total Shop Weld(SR) "  "Total Field Weld(SR) "  "Total Cost ( SR)
Pipe & Pipe Fittings and Flanges ( welding)                       

2  25  40  3710-3710DW100422  15                11                                    4                                          CS         
3  25  40  3710SW100091          40                30                                  10                                          SS
Parent - - By MikkoNikulainen Date 07-23-2019 23:32
Has anyone been able to find out which is the best product among those listed here? https://must11.com/best-portable-generator/
Parent - By SWN1158 (***) Date 07-24-2019 10:39
Does this thing have enough juice to power an industrial strength vibrator? Asking for a friend.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / All around fillet welding