Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding minimum spacing (aisc-7-10)
- - By akries Date 06-13-2018 18:27
Hello I am new to this site.
I am a drafter for structural steel mainly, and wanted to find out where I can look for specific information.
I need to know what is the minimum spacing we can weld with what kind of tool or with what angles.
Any suggestions on where I can look? Attached screen shot shows where I want to weld... and trying to figure out how much space I'd need to be able to weld between. (Trying to weld two plated to a tube) https://weldtalk.hobartwelders.com/filedata/fetch?photoid=701157
Any suggestion will be very much appreciated.

Thank you!
Akries
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-13-2018 18:49
Basically, it is a poor design because there is no proper access. The welding electrode should be angled such that it bisects the angle formed by the two members being welded.

A SMAW electrode is about 14 to 16 inches in length, there isn't sufficient clearance between the member being welded and the adjacent member.

If the welder uses either FCAW or GMAW there isn't enough room for the "gun". The electrode sould still bisect the angle between the two members, so once again, there is not enough clearance for proper access.

Lastly, who the hell has arms that long to reach in there to weld. How long are your arms if I may ask?

Al
Parent - By akries Date 06-13-2018 19:56
Hi There is opening on the sides and you can access from the side. I probably shouldn't have post the sketch...
I just wanted to know where I can look for any standard such as sizes and angles so I can make the plate change accordingly.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-13-2018 18:53
That is mainly going to depend upon the welding process and size of the gun if it is FCAW or GMAW. 

Been looking through AISC Construction Manual and don't see anything for welding.  They have clearances for bolting but even those are mostly suggestions based upon ability to get the bolt in place and then get an appropriate wrench on them. 

Another consideration is if it will be a CJP finished from the outside of the plates.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By akries Date 06-13-2018 19:59
Hi Brent,

Thanks for your reply.
Yes I've looked through the construction manual too... but couldn't find any specific information about requires access spacing for welding...
We are hoping to PJP double bevel.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-13-2018 21:55
Not quite sure how you are going to accomplish that on the inside weld.  Would be interesting to get a better pic.

Brent
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 06-14-2018 11:13
Hey Akries,
Welcome to the Original AWS Forum.

I don't think you'll find any code or spec that speaks to manufacturability.

Do you have anyone from Engineering or Production that you can ask for advice?  As a drafter, you can take your best shot at it using your experience or input from others.  Ultimately, the Design Engineer would sign off on the drawing that you created.

Tyrone
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding minimum spacing (aisc-7-10)