Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / sa 200 project
- - By jrh44 Date 06-14-2018 14:09
I recently picked up a SA 200 with F162 engine.  Based on the nameplate SN, I believe it is a 1953 model.  The guy I bought it from had purchased it a while back as a project and never did anything with it before I got it from him.  In short, I don't have any history on the thing. 

I can't get it to start.  I replaced points, condenser and spark plugs and get a decent spark at the plugs when I turn it over (it doesn't have a starter so I built a hand crank to turn it).  I took the carburetor apart, soaked and cleaned it and then put a rebuild kit in it when I reassembled it.  The fuel tank is trashed so I am giving the carburetor fuel by a copper line with a funnel attached to the top. 

When I took all the spark plugs out and hold my thumb over the holes, I get compression on the upstroke and a vacuum on the down stroke. I pulled the side cover off and it looks like all the valve stems rotate up and down as they should.

It acts like it is not getting fuel to the cylinder.  After hand cranking the poo out of it last night, when I pull the spark plug, I don't smell any gas in the cylinder.  Likewise, I don't smell any gas when I sniffed the exhaust pipe.  I tried backing out the idler set screw a couple of rounds past the recommended set point on the carburetor but it didn't change anything.  When I choke it, after I spin it long enough, gas will drip out of the carburetor intake like it is flooded, but still no gas odor in the exhaust. 

Anyone have any ideas or point me in a direction of what else I can try to get this beast running?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-14-2018 14:16
The jet isn't pulling fuel up from the bowl. The fuel might be pushing past other parts to end up in the intake but it needs to be fed from the bowl. Check it and see if you can see through it or blow compressed air through it. Lawn equipment that gets a load of fuel with ethanol ends up having the same issue and it's almost always that jet is plugged up.

Will it run briefly if a shot of ether is sprayed in the throat of the carb? If so....check that jet.
Parent - - By jrh44 Date 06-14-2018 14:40
thank you for the quick response.  I haven't tried ether yet.  I will give that a shot tonight.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-14-2018 15:25
The jet I'm speaking about is the pilot jet, not the main metering jet(although it should be clear also). This jet controls fuel at idle, it picks fuel up directly from the bowl. I'm not sure what it looks like in your situation(google images are your friend :cool: ), but usually it has a screwdriver slot so it can be taken out with a straight blade screwdriver so you can hold it up to a light and look through it or make sure that it is not obstructed. Don't use anything metallic to poke through it...it's most likely brass and you will alter the opening size. I use the straw on a can of carb cleaner and place it directly over it so the pressure of the can helps you clear the opening. I have had to use my 175psi compressor with a rubber tip on the nozzle to place over the jet to blow it clear. Best wishes
Parent - - By jrh44 Date 06-15-2018 12:45
I gave her a shot of ether and cranked it yesterday evening and it wouldn't start but at least I could smell the ether in the exhaust.  this led me to believe I had a timing issue.  I took all the plugs out and laid them on top of the head and cranked it over.  As I put my thumb over the spark plug hole and felt for compression relative to the spark plug firing, I realized I must have done something wrong.  I took the mag off and followed the instructions for timing the magneto (not sure what I did wrong the first time), put another shot of ether to it and it tried to start.  I filled the bowl with gasoline, another shot of ether and the dang thing cranked right up.  The thing runs like a top. I started it probably ten more times without issue.

Now I can move on to the next step and see if the generator end can make a spark.

thank you again for taking the time to respond to my post yesterday.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-15-2018 20:35
Glad you got it going! :cool:
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / sa 200 project