Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Clarification of AWS D14.4 Fatigue Stresses
- - By naoeng1 Date 06-15-2018 17:42
Hello all,

I recently purchased AWS 14.4 Specification of Design of Welded Joints in Machinery and Equipment, and I had a question in regards to allowable fatigue stresses described in Section 5.2. My question is what is the assumed material when looking at allowable stresses shown in Figures 1 & 2. I think my understanding of the process is to identify your joint configuration persuant to table 3, then identify the stress category.

What is unclear to me is what assumptions are made when looking at allowable fatigue stress. I would imagine that this is heavily material dependent and the allowable stress would change when going from steel to aluminum, or even switching between alloys within a material type.

Can some one comment on how best to use the process for fatigue analysis called out in section 5 of D14.4.

Thanks!
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-12-2018 15:15 Edited 07-12-2018 21:44
The stress range is the difference between the minimum and maximum stress resulting from the "moving" or "varying" load. It is not a function of the dead load.

Don't confuse allowable stress with the stress range listed on the S-N curve.

The allowable stress is material dependent. The S-N curve is also material dependent but would require different S-N curves for different materials such as aluminum or steel. Tensile strength or yield strength is not typically a factor in determining the useful life of a structure because the modulus of elasticity is the same for all steels within the elastic range. Likewise, the same is considered to be true for aluminum. However, the modulus of elasticity is not the same for both aluminum and steel, thus each would have a different S-N curve.

In fact, aluminum doesn't exhibit the characteristic endurance limit seen in the S-N curves for steel. Generally speaking, aluminum is going to fail sooner or later if it is cyclically loaded. One more reason why some say, “Aluminum, almost a metal.”

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Clarification of AWS D14.4 Fatigue Stresses