Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.1 LA City Certified Welder / HELP!!
- - By CertifiedBeads Date 06-17-2018 05:17 Edited 01-17-2019 23:13
Hey guys (and girls)
Just got certified for SMAW
Now I’m looking to get the LA city cert
I’ve picked up the d1.1 code book.
My issue is, what key points should I focus on learning, what pages should I tab.
Is there perhaps a website that has sample test questions?
I will happily accept any and all knowledge on the topic!!

**** UPDATE**** as of 1/16/2019 I have officially passed the exam with a score of 74%
Thanks everyone for he help!!
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-18-2018 11:12
Congrats! :cool:
With D1.1, start with the scope (Clause 1)....that way you understand what this code covers and what it don't.
Clause 2 deals with a lot of engineering but there are some useful nuggets in there, a few things are listed that the code prohibits, etc. Clause 3 deals with Prequalification of welding procedures and what it takes to write a WPS. Clause 4 is for qualification of WPSs and welding personnel. Clause 5 has a lot of fabrication notes. Clause 6 deals with inspection, Clause 7 is for shear studs, and Clause 8 deals with existing structures...and then finally Clause 9 deals with tubular structures. Annexes and things in the back have a lot of useful info, so be sure to dig in there.
Take your time, start with the cover and read through to the back cover....some dry boring reading, but when you see or hear something regarding the code while out working, it will spark your memory and you can go right to it and can tell if someone is shooting you straight or pulling your leg. There are a lot of people who think they know this code in and out....I can tell ya I've been tripped up by trying to go off of memory when trying to quote the code to someone. I end up having to get the book out and show them in black and white what the code says about a subject. Best wishes!
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-26-2018 17:26
If you are still following this,

As I understand this, you are studying for the City of LA welders test, not an inspectors test.

As such, remember that they are looking for different things.  Ask questions of other welders who have taken the test.  They will be your best resource as most of us don't know what is on that test at all. 

Have you checked on the City of LA Department of Building Safety website?  There may be information there to help you out. 

LADBS website with link to Certified Welder testing:

http://www.ladbs.org/docs/default-source/publications/information-bulletins/building-code/information-bulletins-for-certified-welder-ib-p-bc2014-045.pdf?sfvrsn=10
Parent - - By jvtwin Date 08-21-2018 22:58
If your still trying to get ready for the LA City Written - Let me know.   I think I can help you a lot!
BTW:  This is what I do.  I teach an LA City  prep class

Let me know -
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-22-2018 16:25
jvtwin,

WELDCOME TO THE ORIGINAL AWS WELDING FORUM!!! THE GREATEST WELDING FORUM IN THE WORLD..BAR NONE!!

Do you teach classes for the welders taking the exam for getting qualified to weld on LA projects?  Or, for CWI's to get qualified as LA City Deputy Inspectors?  Or, both? 

Could use some contact info.  Please pm me.
He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By FuskaTheWelder Date 09-06-2019 04:08
Hi, I’m 18 years old I passed my D1.1 structure stick test in December at 17, 3 months shy of turning 18. I had school for the rest of the year and wasn’t able to study for my la city test until about August because of graduating school and work. My cert is up in December and I have already sent out my appointment letter to LADBS. I’m going to be taking my la city test very soon and I don’t have very much info. I have the book, some closed book and open book practice test. But I have no way of seeing if they are right nor do I have a way to find out any more questions. This has been very discouraging and kinda made me put off studying when my test is very soon. I have been practicing finding info in the book and memorizing the different section. My book is labeled already with all the clauses, tables, and figures. Any help will be appreciated; what was a common type of question you saw or the different types, closed book portion, symbols and knowledge, any info or guide that will help me have a better chance at passing the test. Please help
  -Chris
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-08-2019 18:27
Read my response to your other post.

Al
- By 803056 (*****) Date 07-24-2018 15:50
D1.1 contains so much information, it boggles the mind. Every clause includes information that is useful to the welder. Being familiar with the code can help the welder avoid many mistakes. When in doubt, the welder should always ask supervision for clarification. Familiarity with the code will help the welder recognize when clarification is needed. Some of the questions that might arise include the following:

Clause 1 - what base metals are included?
                 what thickness range is covered?
                 who is the Engineer and who does he represent?
Clause 2 - what does a welding symbol listing only CJP in the tail indicate?
                 what does it mean when a contract/structural drawing shows a welding symbol for a fillet weld, but no size or length is provided?
                 what is the size of a flare bevel groove if the round has a 1-inch radius and the groove is filled flush?
                 what is the maximum fillet size of a lap joint if the base metal is 3/8-inch thick?
                 what should the welder do if he doesn't understand the welding symbol? (not addressed by Clause 2, but it is a reasonable question)?
                 How is the length of a fillet weld measured, does it include the unfilled crater or a "cold start"?
                 What is "Z-loss"?
                 Is it permitted for a groove welded corner joint to include a reinforcing fillet if it isn't specified by the welding symbol?
                 What is the maximum length of an "end return" if the drawing requires end returns?
                 What is a "hold back" and what is the nominal length of a hold back?
                 Is it permitted to use multiple lengths of backing when backing is specified for a groove weld?
Clause 3     What is a "matching filler metal"?
                 When welding a vertical joint, is it permitted to weld using vertical uphill progression or vertical downhill progression?
                 What is "weathering steel"?
                 What electrodes should be used to weld weathering steel?
Clause 4     When does the welder's qualifications expire if he isn't actually welding with the process for which he/she is qualified?
Clause 5     Where is preheat measured?
                 What is interpass temperature?
                 What must the welder do if the minimum interpass temperature is measured to be lower than the preheat temperature?
                 When is interpass temperature measured and where is it measured?
                 What is the maximum exposure time permitted for an E7018 once it is removed from the original hermetically sealed container or heated electrode holding oven?
                  What is the minimum temperature of the electrode holding oven that is used to store low hydrogen electrodes?
                 Is it permissible to store non-low hydrogen electrodes in the same heated oven intended to store low hydrogen electrodes?
                 What is "reconditioning" a low hydrogen electrode?
                 What must be done to an E7018 low hydrogen electrode that has been exposed to the environmental conditions for more than 5-hours, but less than 8-hours?
                 Are tack welds that are not incorporated into the final production weld permitted on a surface subject to cyclic loads in tension?
                 Is preheat required for tack welds deposited with SMAW if the production weld is made using FCAW?
                 How is a groove weld treated if the root opening is determined to be excessive?
                 Is it permitted to leave completed welds with the slag intact?
                 What is the maximum size of an arc strike before it must be repaired?
                 What is the purpose of "tabs", sometimes call extension tabs or weld tabs?
                 When are tabs required?
                 When must tabs be removed?
Clause 6     What welds must be visually examined?
                 What is the maximum depth of undercut in a statically loaded member that is 1-inch thick if the undercut is transverse to the tensile load?
                 How much overlap is permitted?
Clause 7     Is it permitted to repair a stud by adding a fillet weld around the circumference of the stud?
Clause 9     When is a welder qualified on plate permitted to weld a tubular connection?

The welder may encounter situations where the drawing is missing information. The welder should always direct questions to his/her immediate supervisor. Knowing when to ask for clarification can save the welder's reputation by avoiding costly mistakes that will require subsequent rework or repairs.

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.1 LA City Certified Welder / HELP!!