Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Low Hydrogen Electrode Baking/ Holding Time
- - By sunildvhs Date 06-23-2018 09:54
Dear Sir,
After baking of electrode like E-7018, E-8018, E-9015/ 9018, how much time maximum we can hold at holding temperature in holding oven. Is there any guideline in any standard/code please share.

regards,
sunil
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-24-2018 01:38
While the electrodes don't typically have a defined shelf life, they do degrade over the course of time. I am assuming the electrodes are stored in the holding oven at the minimum temperature specified the entire time. I say this because I've encountered several contractors that figured they only had to energize the holding oven and heat the electrodes when they were about to use them. They were wrong, or so wrong.

I would say that if the electrodes are more than a couple of years old, it might be worthwhile to order fresh electrodes. Again, they is no data that I am aware of that limits the shelf life of electrodes that are properly stored or that are in unopened containers. My experience has been that electrodes that are more than a couples of years old don't perform as consistently as fresh electrode.

Al
Parent - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 06-26-2018 10:54
sunil,
You can find a general guide to re-bake info in AWS D1.1 2015 paragraph 5.3.2.4. Please be advised that whomever you are purchasing your filler metal from, i.e. Lincoln, ESAB, Bohler, will have there own recommendations.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Low Hydrogen Electrode Baking/ Holding Time