Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / rusty steel
- - By jimwelds (**) Date 06-04-2003 17:17
I spoke to a undercoating manfacture Tech. He told me of a product sold by Agway, that farmers in the mid west used. It must be applied to rustey metal, rust is a nirider oxide with the use of this coating the rust is changed to a zinc oxcide. He said it was expensive but the farmers loved it. I called Agway corp. they knew nothing of it. Any one else know of this product and where it may be acquired. I im trying to protect a staging baker. It been keeped outside for about 15 years. Thanks Jim
Parent - By artgirl (*) Date 06-04-2003 22:14
I have spent a lot of time investigating rust converters and treatments and have never run across anything that even sounds like this. So if you track it down please post the name and source! There are several products that convert rust to something that works like a primer and promises to prevent further rust. Rust Be Gone and Rust Kill are the two I have seen recommended the most. I don't know how the metalurgy would be possible to convert oxidized steel to zinc oxide. It sounds like the promise of a historic alchemist or Rumplestilskin. So I hope you can track that stuff!
Parent - By kam (**) Date 06-05-2003 12:29
There are a few acids you can get to rid your self of rust but EXTREME caution must be used as always...especially when welding afterwards. Grinding or sanding is your best bet. I used Muriatic acid to remove rust from steel roof prior to painting. Worked great and 5 yrs later still no rust. Would not recommend using it unless someone has taught you the correct way. It releases hydorchloric gas which is explosive and will tear up your lungs if inhauled. Would never want to use inside without the proper setup and safty gear. Phosphoric acid also works great but same hazzards exist. Again I would recommend staying away from these items and sticking to sanding away the rust unless you can find someone to show you the safe way to use them.

kam
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 06-05-2003 13:35
I have used a product made by GEM called Rust Killer. This product converts Iron Oxide (rust) into Iron Phosphate and works pretty well as long as the rust is fairly fresh, not flaking away. This product is meant for developing a primer coat prior to painting and costs $6.95 a quart.
Tim
Parent - By amalgam (*) Date 06-07-2003 04:35
Why do you not try Electrolytic derusting. There is plenty of info on the web about this method. I have not tryied yet, but everybody agrees that it is the best system.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / rusty steel