Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Documents & Downloads / AWS Pre-qualified WPS for Copper?
- - By carloatx Date 06-28-2018 15:53
Does anyone know if AWS has a pre-qualifed WPS pertaining to TIG welding of copper?  I can't seem to find anything other than a few specifications in the bookstore. 

A little more info ~~  I am trying to qualify my company on TIG welding copper.  The job I am working on right now calls for a 16 gauge sheet of copper to be welded onto a .90" copper plate.  In the end, this part will act as a heat sink/cooling plate.  Thanks for the help!!
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-28-2018 16:41
To the best of my knowledge AWS does not have a code that pertains to copper or it's alloys. Without a code, there can be no prequalified WPSs.

Word of caution, make sure you are welding deoxidized copper,  not tough pitch copper.

Al
Parent - - By carloatx Date 06-28-2018 18:14
Thats what I figured. Thanks for confirming Al, I appreciate it!
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-29-2018 15:06
Aw haw, the much touted Welding Handbook series strikes again. 

Though one must admit, it isn't a code and nothing is said in that portion that shows up about any prequalified procedures. 

Great find, but, I don't see your name on it Lawrence. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-28-2018 18:19
Even if AWS did have a code applicable to copper, the chances of it having any prequalified WPS's is from slim to none.  One must consider the implications of 'Pre-qualified' and how many eras of successful welds are completed in the various joint configurations, welder parameters, materials in use, etc.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Documents & Downloads / AWS Pre-qualified WPS for Copper?