Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Arc one SS 240 hd
- - By jon2vano Date 07-06-2018 01:00
Has anyone tried this ad lens.....generally I'm a passive lens guy. However am looking into an AD lens and cannot find a review of this one anywhere?
Parent - - By Paladin (***) Date 07-06-2018 02:07 Edited 07-06-2018 02:49
Post #9  at Rig Welder Forum says he likes it. For some reason #1 post is at the bottom of page.
http://rigwelder.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4392

I have an Arc One SS 240 HD on order and we will see.

For a number of years I have used a Jackson Balder daily.
In fact somewhere in the archives of this forum I did a little review of the Jackson, I think.

Just this week I replaced the batteries in a Miller Digital Elite and a Speedglas.

I also have an old Huntsman hood with a passive lens.
I plan to use the Arc One SS 240 HD in the Huntsman and possibly in a pancake (never really got into a pancake).

I had a natural gas pipe regulator- meter station to build this week and swapped all four hoods while welding.

I can tell you that after two decades of welding with auto hoods, going passive is weird. The world goes dark when you drop the hood. It's not like I never used a passive hood.  I spent the FIRST two decades welding old school before I bought my first auto hood.

Being so used to seeing the end of the rod, or MIG gun, or TIG torch, with the passive lens Huntsman I lost confidence in EXACTLY where that rod was going to strike the arc on the pipe. I could see the puddle fine with the passive lens but seeing the end of the rod touch where you want to start is nice.

After all the trying of hoods, the Jackson is still my go to. I keep the Miller Digital Elite on my truck as a back up. And it has a torch mode the others don't. The Speedglas is third chair and can stay in the shop for quick GMAW welds.

I'll try to repost any thoughts on the Arc One when I get it.

Floyd
Parent - By jon2vano Date 07-06-2018 22:24
Thank u for the input paladin....already got one on order!
- By Paladin (***) Date 07-17-2018 13:16
I am impressed with the Arc One 240 HD.

It is a noticeably lighter shade in the clear view than any of the other hoods I have.

Welding with SMAW, GMAW, or GTAW,  the view thru the #10 lens is fine.
I can't say its better or worse than the others. They each have a different tint or color while welding.

I turned down the amps with the TIG machine to see how low it would trigger the lens.
Just running an arc on a flat plate, it would stay on at 25 amps. 20 amps it would flash on and off.
But while tacking the far side of  small pieces together at around 100 amps it did very briefly lighten up a time or two.
Perhaps both of the two sensors were at the same time blocked by the part and or my hand and torch.
A bonafide GTAW welder might be better of with a four sensor hood.

Another surprising thing is that grinding does not seem to trigger it much. I have only tried this a little but so far it is promising  how well it does not react to grinding sparks. I'm not saying it won't trigger. It does seem to not react readily to grind sparks, in my limited experience.

If you have an old passive 2x4.25 helmet, Pipeliner, Huntsman, pancake,  etc. this would be a cheap way to make it AD.
It would be a lighter set up than a big screen lens. And if like me you use a magnifier, anything outside of the 2x4.25 magnifier is wasted anyway.

Floyd
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Arc one SS 240 hd