Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Quoting a job
- - By drizzt228 Date 07-09-2018 03:51
I have been welding for most of the last 25 years in a small city oklahoma 25-30k population  everything from structural, low and high pressure pipe, oil seperator bottles, and last 8 year doing fabrication, maintenance, and building jigs and fixtures. Recently took a new job in Dallas TX I was kind of the under manager of the plant since I have such a wide range of skills. Boss above me quit and I got thrown into the job and honestly little over my head do pretty good with the actual shop part scheduling and so on but all my jobs we have had all out parts cut cleaned and completely fit up and tacked up so I only had to weld all day probably 95% of it in turntables. But one thing I have almost 0 experience at it figuring out bidding jobs. Have to bid on a job for 250 pieces  4" sch 40  pipe have all the other info but was not sure how many hours per part I should charge there is 3 buttwelds and 2 slide on flanges the company we are bidding to wants 6010 or 6011 root and mig rest with fluxcore wire.     Thanks Drizzt228
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 07-10-2018 12:16
Hey Drizzt,
Welcome to the Original AWS Forum.

Your question about bid is a tough one.  It depends on lots of things.

At least you have a good grip on how many hours it should take to fabricate the parts from start to finish. 
Now comes the tricky part...
Costing:
Materials
Consumables
Shop overhead
Hourly rate
etc.

See if you can look at some old bids to see how they were broken down.

Hopefully others can add to the list.

Good luck
Tyrone
Parent - By yojimbo (***) Date 07-10-2018 15:59
There are estimating references available both on line [for a price] and likely at a local library in a larger city.  R.S. Means is a standard text or set of texts that cover essentially every industry and aspect of construction.  They take into account the basics ie: materials, time, consumables but go further and evaluate regional location and comparative labor costs, transportation and other factors.  It is not always useful if you are bidding the job competitively but they are worth it for change orders to demonstrate "historical pricing" and the justification for costs.  Most state DOT agencies recognize the schedule of values Means expresses and won't/can't argue against it.  You might even try getting through on the phone to someone in their office, explain your precise fabrication and tye may be able to reference a price for you.  It may surprise you what the real cost of manufacturing/fabrication really are.  The first time I looked through one of their pipe fabrication cost tables and saw a 6" sched. 40 weld factored at 4 hours I almost passed out, but when you figure all the actual costs and labor that go into getting that done- transports, material handling, fitting, welding, inspection, loading out, delivery, paperwork it looks less improbable.  If nothing else it might be a starting point for you.  I would be talking to management above your pay grade to start learning more about what the company has charged in the past, what kind of profit margins they try to maintain, what paperwork do they save from earlier bids you could learn from.  You may be in a position to expand your understanding of this industry in a manner few get the chance to do and you might be able to do it without having to eat any more welding smoke for the next few decades which might not be the worse thing either.  Managerial skills have their benefits at a certain point in your career and you're being handed a chance to obtain them.  Good Luck
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Quoting a job