Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / from cwi to cwe
- - By ididntdoit89 (*) Date 07-12-2018 16:53
hello guys, I am currently a CWI and wanting to get my CWE. AWS says the applicant shall have a valid AWS certified welder ID/certification card OR ITS EQUAL. I was wondering if having a CWI cert. is its equal. Thanks in advance guys.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-12-2018 17:31
No,

You will need to show a performance qualification.   You will also need to have a reference letter from your employer to verify you are engaged as an instructor and have met that institutions instructional methods requirements and you will also furnish a recommendation and evaluation from that administrator.

A CWI does not need to be a welder.

A CWE most certainly does.

You will be able to skip some of the written examination requirements by virtue of having passed your CWI exam.

Here is the link with all the information you will need.
https://www.aws.org/certification/detail/certified-welding-educator-program

Here is the link to AWS QC5  The governing specification for CWE
https://www.aws.org/library/doclib/QC5-91.pdf
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-12-2018 23:05
Where did that 'LIKE' button go?  Gotta find my glasses, it must be here somewhere...Oh, wrong forum.  No button.

That's okay, Like he said.
Parent - - By ididntdoit89 (*) Date 07-13-2018 16:44
wrong forum? Is this not the certification forum? Im trying to get certified
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-13-2018 17:22
I think Brent was speaking of the entire forum being the wrong forum....I'm also guessing that the "other" AWS forum has a "like" button to push and this one doesn't.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-15-2018 16:17
Correct John.

AWS has two forums.  The other one is newer and has a few good features as well as a 'Like' button that we don't have here. 

But, this one has many features that several of us prefer over 'the OTHER' forum.  That is why when greeting new people on the other one I welcome them to 'The Second Greatest Welding Forum In The World'.  This one is better in so many ways including the people who still gather here and the volumes of threads from over many years of great participation.
Parent - - By ididntdoit89 (*) Date 07-13-2018 16:46
I am trying to figure out what they mean by " or its equal" in 6.3 under examination requirements. the way i interpret this is I have to be a certified welder that was certified by an accredited aws test facility.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-13-2018 16:58
My experience is that this "or it's equal" term means that you need to be currently certified as a welder.

Meaning, AWS, CWB, DOD, City of LA, Company internal certification...  It's not an AWS welder cert. that is important.  Its the proof that you can weld to a defined standard.

If you can produce a current welder qualification test report or certification, it is likely that it will be accepted.
Parent - - By ididntdoit89 (*) Date 07-15-2018 16:18
thanks for your input sir
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-16-2018 13:47
I believe they are looking for a test record signed by a current CWI.

Al
Parent - By ididntdoit89 (*) Date 07-24-2018 17:39
thank you
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / from cwi to cwe