Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Stainless pressure vessel fab questions
- - By Weldnut1980 Date 07-13-2018 21:44
New here, looking to hear some opinions on my current workplace dilemma 

Q1 - Is it a poor practice to use mild steel "tacking rings" to squeeze and round out components for tacking purposes?

Q2 - How many inclusions are acceptable in ASME U & UM longitudinal and latitudinal weld seams, on the inside of the vessel?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-14-2018 03:23
More details please.

Al
Parent - By Weldnut1980 Date 07-14-2018 11:57
UN/DOT cfr parts 171-180 and ASME UM code and addenda.  Getting non purged hot tacks on inside of vessels from poor fit up and poor tacking execution.  Leads to burnt black tacks on the penetrated weld surfaces.
- - By Travisreid Date 08-01-2018 12:43
I have question that is going to require some experience in the construction of stainless steel tanks. The contractor I work for has recently constructed 5 tanks that measure 75' by 30' by 50'. 316 stainless is the base metal and 317L is the filler used using the GMAW process. Shielding gas was 75/25. This far we already have problems. After construction the welds were vac/boxed as the standard testing procedure. Welders were all tested under the D1.1 code. Another problem as this is a large, unpressurized vessel so I believe that the code should have been API 650. Upon completion we are finding tons of discontinuities and to make matters worse the tanks are leaking at a rate of 2 1/2 gallons a minute!. Pinpointing the flaws are the biggest problem at this point because the client is ready for them to go back online. I know that they should have used a different shielding gas but, at this point they are trying to repair the leaks to run the units. Mind you, I'm a welder, I cried foul from day one of the testing procedure, filler metal, and code however I didn't write the PQR. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated at this point as this job is over a million in the hole!!
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-01-2018 17:11
Did they locate the leaks while testing with the vacuum box. If they did, didn't they mark the locations?

Al
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 08-02-2018 09:48
When you have this kind of problem, the vac box tester is normally the first to blame unless no leaking detected during the
hydo test.
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 08-02-2018 11:07
In the future, create a new post and state your query.  Don't hijack another person's post.

Tyrone

PS - Welcome to the Original AWS Welding Forum.
- - By bagavathiy Date 08-02-2018 11:03
Hello,

The welder is qualified for P8 group material (ASTM A312 TP 316L). Are they can do the welding on P1 group materials?? Or else required to make new WPS. Please advise back
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 08-02-2018 11:07
In the future, create a new post and state your query.  Don't hijack another person's post.

Tyrone

PS - Welcome to the Original AWS Welding Forum.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Stainless pressure vessel fab questions