Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding tolerance 16mm ASTMA564 (17-4 PH Stainless Steel
- - By mkpash Date 07-18-2018 08:22
Dear all,

What is general weld tolerances for fillet welds using GTAW(TIG) method.

Material is ASTMA564 (17-4 PH Stainless Steel) welding of similar metals, both having thickness of 16mm.

If the horizontal and vertical leg length is mentioned as 5mm in drawing, is there a +/- tolerance for it?

Regards,
Mustafa
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-18-2018 14:00
The tolerance for fillet size is usually set forth in the construction code, or internal quality manual specification.

One example would be found in Table 6.1 of AWS D1.1

Typically "minimum" weld sizes are set forth, and sometimes there is a tolerance for a certain percentage of "undersized" weld, which is calculated via weld length and a measurement of the undersized area.

Opinion:  Your 16mm base metal is about 5/8" and your fillet size of 5mm is about 3/16".....  To me this seems like a very small fillet to begin with for the base metal thickness, so an undersized fillet of any length might be problematic.

If you are not working to a formal specification, I would suggest you consult the Engineer.
Parent - - By mkpash Date 07-19-2018 08:11
Thanks for your reply Lawrence.

where can i get a copy of the construction code?

also, i want to share with you the drawing of the part.

Regards,
Mustafa
Attachment: Untitled.jpg (73k)
Attachment: Untitled1.jpg (53k)
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-19-2018 12:02 Edited 07-19-2018 12:09
Hi Mustafa,

The Engineer in most cases would determine the construction code or specification that best applies for the base metal and service conditions of the weldment.  The OEM, or original equipment manufacturer is usually the place where the primary "Engineer" is to be found.

I looked at your drawings and the weld symbols raise questions.

The weld symbol is a single bevel groove with a reinforcing fillet.  (if you are using AWS A2.4 to govern weld symbols)  So according to the weld symbol there are two operations taking place. 

1.  a single bevel groove weld
2. a reinforcing fillet weld (5mm)

However, the groove detail on the weld symbols lack sufficient information in my opinion.   The weldment assembly itself does not appear to allow for complete joint penetration (CJP), but the weld symbol does not provide a groove angle or a depth of preparation for the groove if it is a partial penetration single bevel groove weld. 

Meaning: if their was a strength calculation for that welded joint, it is not represented via the weld symbols.  There is not enough information.

So it might be wise to bring the following questions to the engineer:
1.  Which construction code and processes will be used to make the weldment.
2. Clarification of the single bevel groove..  Bevel angle and depth of preparation
3. Any weld size tolerances related to construction code.
4. If there is no construction code in force, provide weld size tolerances for inspection.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding tolerance 16mm ASTMA564 (17-4 PH Stainless Steel