Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / AWS D1.1 Welder Qualification Test Record
- - By CC4846 (*) Date 07-21-2018 17:52
Hello, Experts.

I have a question about the “qualification range” fields in a Welder Performance Qualification Test Record Form for qualifying welders to AWS D1.1. I realize that D1.1 allows one to use any format they see fit do document the test record, but I am bound to use the one that our company wants, I believe that it is one of the recommend forms form a previous D1.1 edition. Anyhow there are two columns, one is for the actual values in the test, and the other is for the qualification range. My question is what is the appropriate way to fill some of the qualification range fields that do not have a qualification range - the item is not a welder qualification essential variable. I was taught to never leave a field blank, usually just enter N/A if it does not apply, I feel like I should enter something other than that in some fields. I have seen others put “any table 3.1 material” in the base material qualified field, that seems reasonable to me, because in Table 4.12 base material is not an essential variable. I have entered “any Steel” because materials that are not listed in Table 3.1, unlisted steels, would still be qualified. For filler metal if E70C-6M was used would it be correct to enter in the specification qualified to “A5.18 / A5.28” and for classification qualified to “any A5.18, A5.28”? Again Table 4.12 only places a welders essential variable for filler metal on SMAW F numbers. Lastly on shielding gas, in the actual value column I enter 90/10 Ar/CO2 and in the qualification range field I enter “Any”, again see Table 4.12 it has no restriction on shielding gas changes. Is this in your opinion acceptable, incorrect, could be better,or way off?

I appreciate any and all comments, thank you in advance.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-21-2018 20:26
I don't know that I would list "any steel", because you are not necessarily qualified for "any steel" if the documents states it is compliant with D1.1.

You might want to narrow the list down to the "all carbon steel and low alloy steels per WPS" listed by D1.1. As for the filler metals, I agree you could list them by the applicable filler metal specifications. The shielding gas you could list "as per WPS".

Best regards - Al
Parent - By CC4846 (*) Date 07-23-2018 22:42
Al,

Thanks for your help. How do you, or anyone else, typically fill these fields for a document like this?
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / AWS D1.1 Welder Qualification Test Record