Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / which filler metal
- - By ididntdoit89 (*) Date 07-26-2018 15:56
we just got an order to weld MIL-S-24645 HSLA 100. Can someone confirm that for FCAW I will need the esab 101 TC H4 and for SAW I ll need the esab 100 S/1062 wire flux combo?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-26-2018 18:24
You need to review the requirements of the contract to see what fabrication standard, i.e., NAVSEA TP278, etc. is specified. If this was for the Navy, NAVSEA TP278 would direct you to 1688 for the recommended filler metal.  Pay close attention to NAVSEA TP 248 if this is for the Navy.

In short, more information is required before any recommendations can be offered.

Al
Parent - - By ididntdoit89 (*) Date 07-31-2018 20:27
I wasnt given a contract. This is still just in the bidding phase. This is in fact for ingalls ship yard in Pascagoula, MS. I was thinking NAVSEA S9074-AQ-GIB-010/248
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-31-2018 21:29 Edited 07-31-2018 22:01
NAVSEA TP248 is the standard that provides the requirements for qualifying the WPS and the welders. If you haven't done so already, carefully read the requirements for welder qualification and the classroom training requirements. The welders have to pass a written examination on the workmanship requirements. It is more involved than many people think.

1688 and 1689 are used for constructing the hull of submarines or surface combatants. It will provide specific direction for welding the Q&T high strength alloys and the required filler metals. Pay attention to the purchasing and storage requirements of the filler metals.

Are you building from a print provided by the customer or are you in a design/build situation. In either case, get a blessing from the client before proceeding too far. Get the customer's buy in before going through the exercise of qualifying the WPS.

I don't know what your experience is work with Navy standards and I don't mean to insult your intellect, by I often get involved after the fact and we're usually in clean up mode washing the decks of the blood and body parts after the program blows up in someones face. It is easier to make sure all your ducks are in a row before hand rather than after the fact.

I just looked in 278. I found MIL-S-24645, but only HSLA-80 was listed as a S-11C base metal. It can be found in MIL-STD-1689A. Matching filler metals are listed in Table XI.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / which filler metal