Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / NAVSEA Qualification tests
- - By ididntdoit89 (*) Date 07-31-2018 20:25
i am doing a pqr per the requirements of S9074-AQ-GIB-010/248. I am a little confused as to what destructive and non destructive tests have to be performed to qualify my pqr. We are only doing fillet welds with FCAW and an automatic SAW machine. I realize I have to perform two different pqr's but the code is unclear to me. material is less than 3/8'' thick. Section 4.4.1.11 directs me to figure 8, which shows a tee joint being welded on one side. but still doesnt specify which destructive tests the outside agency has to do. Section 4.5 refers me to table VII. the required tests per the table says guided bend tests but how do you do that for a fillet welded tee joint? PLEASE HELP
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-07-2018 01:45
If the base metal being welded is listed in MIL-STD-1628 (I think the is the correct reference for the design of fillet weld), one only has to qualify the fillet weld.

If the base metal isn't listed in 1628, one must qualify the PQR using a grooved assembly to establish the mechanical properties. I would recommend qualifying the fillet weld to ensure proper fusion can be attained in the root of the T-joint.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / NAVSEA Qualification tests