Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding 1" steel inside corner joint smaw
- - By REAPER Date 08-09-2018 06:10
Need to do some welding on a piece of equipment, can't reach from the backside to do outside corner weld, only able to do inside corner weld, metal is 1" thick steel, welder is Miller 251 engine driven stick welder, need to know the best way about welding it, should I CAC the whole corner out and weld it? Ive got 1/8" and 3/16" 7018 and 7024
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 08-09-2018 12:21
Hey Reaper,
Welcome to the Original AWS Welding Forum.

Without knowing anymore details like base material, load condition, etc...

I would gouge out as much of the corner as possible (without going through).  This will help if the part is loaded in 2 directions and also minimize weld distortion.

My 2 cents
Tyrone
Parent - - By REAPER Date 08-09-2018 22:10
material is steel, looks like it has a few tons sitting on it and I dont want to cut all the way in and risk it collapsing, weight is on the top pushing down on the weld
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 08-10-2018 12:20
How long is the weld joint?  Could you gouge and weld it in sections?

You could also gouge out 1/2", fill with weld, then add a 3/4" fillet weld.
Or gouge out 3/8", fill with weld, then add a 1" fillet weld.

Tyrone
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-09-2018 14:09
Reaper,

WELDCOME TO THE ORIGINAL AWS WELDING FORUM!!!  The Greatest Welding Forum In The World, Bar NONE!!

I concur with Tyrone.  Clean it out through MOST of the thickness and weld.  Personally, except for possibly on the cover pass, forget about the 7024.  Use 7018 all the way for the low hydrogen benefits. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Welding 1" steel inside corner joint smaw