Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Health concern
- - By amalgam (*) Date 06-08-2003 03:37
When I was learning the basics of welding in a local school, I came home after class with a black dusty matter in my nostrils. I assumed that I was breathing smoke. Therefore, now that I started welding in my house I bought a Speedglass helmet that is suppose to have a breathing system that helps to eliminate the fumes. Also, I am using a N95 3M® respirator that looks like the one dentists use, but with a special valve and it is indicated for welding. However, after I finished my project today I had the same problem. What is it suppose to be? Could that come from the grinding and cutting? Is the N95 respirator indicated? If not what would be a good one? Thank you for any help, I am just concerned.
Thank you
Alfredo Alamo
Parent - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 06-08-2003 04:31
grinding and cutting throws off dust and smoke that's breathable too. in fact, grinding makes a lot of dust, but you can't see it because it's more of a heavy particulate and doesn't float in the air for very long. if you do a lot of grinding in 1 spot in your shop, after a while you'll notice a nice coating of gray dust all over the floor and everything around there.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-08-2003 11:35
An N95 respirator is 95% Effective in removing dust and particles. The paper masks are much better than nothing. If you are concerned with your respiratory health considering purchashing a cartridge or repplaceable filter type respirator. Grinding and cutting generate particles as much or greater than welding. If you aren't using any protection while cutting or grinding, that could be your problem.

I use an N99 from North that can be viewed at http://www.northsafety.com/usa/en/bs_product.html?GID=3755

3m Also makes a low pprofile respirator that fits well under my hood.

An N95 paper respirator may not be fitting your face well enough to get a good seal. With a cartrodge type respirator, the straps can be adjusted to help it fit your face better. If you are using a forced air hood then I can't see welding fumes getting to you

Any facial hair can also be a much bigger problem establishing a seal with a respirator but again if you have a forced air hood, that rulles out weldling smoke.

Good day

Gerald Austin
http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com/
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Health concern