Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Spliced HSS Column
- - By LToca85 (**) Date 08-15-2018 23:11
Hello, I am fairly new to D1.1 and I have come across an HSS Column that was cut 5/8" to short and the "solution" is to weld a splice to the column. I am wondering if this is allowed per the code or not? any help is appreciated.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-16-2018 11:42
Hi LToca85,
Stuff happens. Whenever the saw made a mistake like this I would get them to splice a foot onto it (usually there was drop in the scrap bin that would work), UT the joint to verify soundness, then cut it to the correct length and fit/weld the rest of the column as normal.

One word of caution, sometimes the EOR has a preferred end(top or bottom) that he/she wants to see the splice added onto, so you may want to ask first before they waste time with layout and fitting the rest of the column.

Another solution is to add a 5/8" thicker base plate, but then you have to make sure there will be enough anchor rod sticking through at that grid location to engage a full nut.
Parent - - By LToca85 (**) Date 08-16-2018 12:03
Thank you very much, would you know if i would be able to find that in clause 5 or 9 or would it be somewhere else. (By the way I've been coming here for help lately and you seem to be very helpful thank you)
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-16-2018 12:27
LToca85,
I don't remember seeing anything in AWS D1.1 in Clause 5 or 9 regarding this. Clause 5.19 is a new clause regarding splices, but I'm not sure that it applies to your situation.

I'm just thankful to this forum for being here to answer my MANY questions when I was a new CWI. Many of the faithful members here helped me get along over the years, so I'm happy to give a little back where I can.
Parent - - By LToca85 (**) Date 08-16-2018 12:52
Okay thank you I will keep looking.

Yes it is very helpful, and I appreciate all the comments that everyone makes hopefully one day I can help too lol
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-16-2018 13:24
We are a pretty diverse group, so chances are that you will have experience in some area where the rest of us don't and can give some some guidance.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-16-2018 16:23
FYI,

The Addition of Clause 5.19 in the 2015 revision is pretty much editorial.

Meaning that the text remains about the same as it was in previous editions, but it was moved from the heading "Control of Distortion and Shrinkage" (5.21.2.6) in the 2010 revision of the D1 code.

D1.1 does not prohibit splices in HSS columns.

AISC design guide is where most engineers will go to determine viability, depending on loading conditons.
Parent - By LToca85 (**) Date 08-16-2018 16:47
okay thank you for the information.
Parent - - By Steelslinger (**) Date 08-16-2018 13:42
Code (D1.1) is pretty silent on it as to whether or not it can be done, that is usually up to the EOR. It just covers the how it should be done in regards to welding it.

We do quite a bit of HSS splicing in our structures, although not as columns, generally truss bridge chords. We follow the same advice that John gave you below. If the material is cut short by a small amount, we will cut back a foot or more, typically. The exact location gets run past our Engineers first.

All of ours are CJP'd with a backer ring, and then UT'd.
Parent - By LToca85 (**) Date 08-16-2018 13:55
Okay note taken thank you very much.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-16-2018 14:35
Adam and John have given good advice: go to the Engineer first.  If allowed, add a piece by inserting backing and then CJP groove weld.  UT.  Normally, unless the Engineer guides otherwise, don't cut the same end the splice was added to.  Cut the other end so your splice is away from the end by a few inches.  If the splice weld is in the way of added fit up, grind it flush for other parts to fit properly.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By LToca85 (**) Date 08-16-2018 16:48
Thank you sir
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 08-17-2018 12:00
Additional splices can be problematic, due to a lot of things such as cost, engineering approval, Inspector's NCRs, material traceability, NDE, appropriate WPS, appropriate welder WPQR, etc, etc...

In a case like this (if thickness dimensions allow) it is often better to utilize the code approved provision for extending material length through the use of the addition of buttering or layering welds in order to achieve acceptable joint gap dimensions. However, it still needs to be done right, not half-assed. Building up full through thickness dimension and sanding to a notch free surface, inside and out, is always best policy. It's also best practice to document the work through a NCR and have the repair inspected prior to fitting the member in place.

From D1.1 : 2015 -

"5.21.4.2 Correction. Root openings greater than
those allowed in 5.21.4.1, but not greater than twice the
thickness of the thinner part or 3/4 in [20 mm], whichever
is less, may be corrected by welding to acceptable
dimensions prior to joining the parts by welding."
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Spliced HSS Column