Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weld symbol
- - By SWN1158 (***) Date 08-16-2018 11:42
I don't know how to attach a drawing, so I will try to explain....  there's a connection plate shop welded to the end of an HSS that has a 3/8 wall thickness. The weld symbol shows an all around bevel weld symbol below the reference line, and 1/4, on the left side next to the bevel symbol. My understanding is that if there are no dimensions on a bevel weld symbol, the weld is definitely CJP, but if there are dimensions next to the bevel weld symbol, the joint is PJP. There should be two separate dimensions shown at the bevel symbol for a PJP joint. One is the groove depth (S), that's needed to obtain the weld size(E), but in this particular detail, only one dimension is shown. My contention is that if the design intention is a CJP, then why is there a dimension shown at all? And if it is a CJP, what does the 1/4 mean?

The CWI here says that "even though the 1/4 dimension is shown, it's still a CJP. It just shows a 1/4" bevel depth with a 1/8 landing and we're supposed to penetrate through the 1/8 landing to get the full penetration weld."

I say that it's a PJP with a 1/4 groove depth, but we still need to submit an RFI for clarification.

What do you think about the 1/4 shown next to the bevel weld symbol? Why would it be there if the joint is a CJP, and what's it's purpose?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-16-2018 12:14
Hi Scott,
Check out what AWS A2.4:2012 has to say about a groove weld symbol with only the depth of bevel shown
Parent - By SWN1158 (***) Date 08-16-2018 12:17
That's what I thought. Thank you John!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-16-2018 14:26
Good Day Scott,

So, is the '1/4' in parenthesis or not?  Just making sure if they are specifying the Depth of Groove or the Weld Size (BTW, they changed the place markers: 'D'= Depth of bevel and 'S'= Size of Weld, makes more sense but for those who have been around a while it takes some getting used to).  Size of Weld is in parenthesis and Depth of Bevel is not.

Mostly I agree with John just trying to sort this out.  Since you didn't specify but using some of your provided measurements: Connection plate is 5/8" thick?  1/4" bevel both sides and 1/8" root face? No root opening?  What process? 

I disagree with the CWI there.  Especially considering the wording of A2.4 7.2.3 and 7.2.7. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-16-2018 15:14
A2.4:2012 7.2.5 to clarify that if dimension to the left of the symbol is NOT in parentheses specifies depth of bevel groove/bevel only.
Parent - By SWN1158 (***) Date 08-16-2018 16:59
Brent,

It's not in parenthesis.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-16-2018 15:27
"The CWI here says that "even though the 1/4 dimension is shown, it's still a CJP. It just shows a 1/4" bevel depth with a 1/8 landing and we're supposed to penetrate through the 1/8 landing to get the full penetration weld."-quote

Another twist to what he's telling you is that a "CJP made from one side" is not prequalified, so how was he planning to address that? Make you qualify a procedure?
Good thing it's just a PJP :wink:
Parent - By SWN1158 (***) Date 08-16-2018 23:13
The EOR verified that it's a PJP. Thanks all!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weld symbol