Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Strain gauge monitoring
- - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-23-2018 12:26
Recently had a contractor request strain gauge monitoring, I've asked for help with this one as it is out of my comfort zone. No one local to me has had any experience with this, many have heard of it, but never actually seen it performed.

Anyone here have any experience of setting up and running the equipment? This particular case is rather unusual to me and I'm not familiar with how this monitoring will take place.

There have been micro-piles drilled all around this building (drilling and installing micro-piles I am very familiar with) and in the basement they are going to be installing balance beams consisting of anchor rods on each end of the beam and a rocker plate assembly at mid-span of the beam. So at each end of the beam, there will be a set of (2) 1.75" diameter anchor rods bolting the beam to a plate that is bolted to the top of the micro-pile hollow bar. We were asked to monitor the tensioning of these anchor rods to a target of 15k (min 10k, max 20k) using a strain gauge on the side of the anchor rods.
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 08-24-2018 11:38
Hey John,
I've had limited experience.  I usually leave the details to the test team, but I've picked up some knowledge along the way.

It sounds like you need a test setup that gives you live data.  We don't use that system.  We gather data and then process it after the test is complete.  Either way, you will need a technician that is going to select the proper strain gauges, (lots of different types), for your application, knows how to apply them correctly, then can run the software.

I would start looking for 3rd party quotes.

Tyrone
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-24-2018 13:41
I can't find anyone local, so I reached out to the contractor and asked for some help locating a firm to help us out with the testing. Seems that they are now asking the engineer for help locating a firm that can do what he's asking. We'll see how this shakes out. I have seen these strain gauges in person but they were already in place on structures that were settling a lot and needed to be monitored to see how fast this movement is taking place.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-24-2018 14:16
I know this prolly won't be helpful..

But I noticed YouTube has about 100 strain gage videos  :)
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-24-2018 14:48
Thanks Lawrence,  BTDT already.
Parent - - By ccd1518 Date 09-04-2018 16:34
I have done strain gage testing for a number of years.  I ran vishay strain gages along with Micro-Measurements 7000 data system.

how can I help?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-04-2018 17:16
Thanks for your reply and welcome to the forum.
Actually, what I need is a contact or a firm that can perform the testing for me. I'm always up to learn new things, but on this one I would want to source some help before tackling the task by myself.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Strain gauge monitoring