Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Wrap Ends, Longer Fillet Weld or All Around Symbol and Note?
- - By AMurphy Date 08-23-2018 14:21 Edited 08-23-2018 14:25
First off- I am an engineer, not a welder, but please don't hate me because I'd like to try to make the weld callouts in my drawings both make sense and be what we need. If you're still willing to help me, thank you!

I was discussing a weld callout for a coped I beam weldment with two other engineers. There's a center I beam and two others mirrored over it to make a +. These beams are placed on a flat plate and then welded to each other and the plate. We had a weld callout for all around, but that doesn't make sense because the bottom of the coped joint can't be welded because it's already sitting on the plate. But if we don't use the all around symbol it means a lot of arrows pointing everywhere but the bottom. My other thought was to make the length of the fillet weld equal to the length of the web and the flange (1/2 flange length x 2), with one arrow pointing to the web and making the callout for both sides, with an arrow pointing to each of the mirrored I beam joints. I do have an image if I can figure out how to upload it...
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-23-2018 17:05
Hi AMurphy,
What I've seen  for 35 years now is for the detailer to show the weld symbols for one of the welded joints and then put "Typ" in the tails of those weld symbols. I was also a structural detailer for several of those 35 years. Hope that helps unclutter your weld detail.
Parent - - By AMurphy Date 08-23-2018 18:32
Thank you JWright. I'm doing that under the detail since we actually have 8 of these joints. I wanted to avoid having 8 arrows pointing to the same joint in different views (top of flange/mirrored, under flange/mirrored, web/mirrored, top of flange/mirrored) just to allow the bottom of the joint to not be welded. We really don't care if it is or isn't, but we know it won't be fabricated that way and don't want it to fail QC by having the all around symbol on it. Maybe I can use the all around symbol and note "Except for flange face to base plate"?
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 08-27-2018 19:38
An all around symbol doesn't work as you have a combination of fillet (web to web and web to flange) and groove welds (flange to flange). What kind of weld do you want on the flange to flange connection? Square or beveled groove? CJP or PJP?

John's suggestion of one detailed loaded with all of the right info, to be referenced in additional like locations, is best practice.

Thanks for asking!
I wish all Engineers would do that first...

Tim
Parent - By AMurphy Date 08-28-2018 14:49
Oh, good point, Tim! I suppose it would be a fillet on the coped beam under the flanges and to the web, but the flange to flange welds we'll make bevel, so it would be a different callout. PJP for this application is fine. I'll go ahead and add views as needed to make it clearer. I'm trying to find the balance between detail and clutter.

Thank you so much!
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 08-28-2018 11:17
Hey AMurphy,
I have added small iso views showing only weld symbols. Yes you will have lots of arrows, but it's clear to the Welders where to weld.

Tyrone
Parent - By AMurphy Date 08-28-2018 14:50
Thank you, Tyrone. I think I'm going to do just that. It's better to be overly explicit than confusing.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Wrap Ends, Longer Fillet Weld or All Around Symbol and Note?