Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Quick brazing question
- - By evelbmx (*) Date 06-09-2003 03:42
Ok, so since brazing doesnt actually melt the two metals together, it just joins them, that means I can braze two different types of metal together correct? I want to join a 4130 chromoly tube to a titanium tube. Would there be any problems doing this?
Parent - - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 06-09-2003 10:46
go to www.handyharmancanada.com and you'll find a huge web page on all the alloys they produce plus the applications table for them. Brazing covers a huge range of metals and even some types of glass. This page is really full of information. The only advertisement is the suggested alloys are handy/harman products. That covers a huge range though. Good luck.
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 06-09-2003 14:43
Hey Bzzzzzzzz,
Great Brazing Link!
Thanks,
Tim
Parent - By 49DegreesNorth (**) Date 06-11-2003 20:01

You might even be able to use Mapp gas instead of OA. This would be a super-cheap rig to set up.

Chris
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-11-2003 20:17
Evel,

Oxy-Fuel brazing of Titanium for bike frames is not gonna work. At temps above 500 degrees C. Titanium (Alpha-beta alloys such as 6Al4V) has an affinity for (will absorb) oxygen, nitrogen, hydrogen out of the atmosphere or any contaminant on the surface of the metal. If the afore mentioned elements are absorbed the material will become embrittled and unusable. This stuff requires a vacume furnace.

Ti does make great bike frames, as does 4130, however, I don't think its a good idea to join the two of them together via a hot process.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Quick brazing question