Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Aluminum welding
- - By chall (***) Date 06-09-2003 14:29
What is a good source of information regarding welding aluminum? We are looking for a resource that covers 6061-T6 (thicknesses up to 1"), using GMAW. Does anyone provide automated equipment, other than a bug-o setup?

At 1", I would expect to have to preheat and use and Ar-He gas mixture.

Any advice on this would be very much appreciated.

Charles Hall
Parent - - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 06-09-2003 17:00
Frank Armao with the Lincoln Electric Co. in Cleveland Ohio in one of my favorite authorities on aluminum welding. I have attended his lectures and am very impressed with his knowledge. He can be reached at:216-481-8100, fax 216-486-1751 or frank_armao@lincolnelectric.com

Mike Sherman
Shermans Welding
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 06-09-2003 17:26
Thanks Mike,

We have an appointment to visit with the folks at Lincoln. My preference is to prepare for the visit ahead of time with as much info as possible.

Some time ago someone posted the AlcoTech site. It has some pretty good info, but I'm looking for some real world testimonial.

Charles
Parent - - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 06-09-2003 18:01
Frank is a very knowledgable person. I liked his lectures so much I have asked him to speak at our local AWS meeting next year. I am becoming a fan of Lincolns technical abilities, they are right in my backyard so it makes sense to utilize them. They should be able to help you with your 6061. Do you know who you are meeting with or which office branch they are out of?

Mike Sherman
Parent - By chall (***) Date 06-11-2003 11:24
Hi Mike,

At this point I'm not sure. Our local welding supply company is setting it up. We usually meet with Brian Sullivan, another knowledgable gent. Since you mentioned Frank, I'm going to ask that we get some time with him.

Thanks for the information.
Charles Hall
Parent - By chall (***) Date 08-06-2003 13:09
Hi Mike,

I recently returned from a visit to Lincoln Electric. Frank was very helpful and friendly.

I was able to spend the better part of two days with him and a couple other guys.

Although there was no great shining light that came on, Frank did clear up a few things. More importantly, he (and the others at Lincoln) made it clear that when you purchase Lincoln Equipment, they will provide as much assistance in working out bugs as is needed. I believe they stand firmly behind their product.

I appreciate the information you provided. I was going to visit Lincoln blindly. It helped focus my trip and it was much more efficient in the long run.

Charles
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-11-2003 15:53
Charles,

This link, http://weldreality.com/aluminumalloys.htm May or may not have data specifically related to your work, nonetheless, it is full of excellent $free$ data. I enjoy Ed Craigs blunt performance oriented approach. He favors no single supplier and has quite an impressive record in robotic/manufacturing cost reduction.

Also you were asking for testimonials, there are plenty of them linked to his home page and I wouldn't be surprised if he was able to provide just what your looking for in the way of pre-run data and questions. Its simply the most, best stuff I've found out there for free.

Let me know what you think,

Lawrence
Parent - By chall (***) Date 06-11-2003 17:13
Wow, an incredible amount of information.

It's interesting to read some of the points regarding overheating a 6061-T6 material while welding. We found out the hard way about interpass temp. It's also noteworthy to read the discussion of porosity. For months we struggled to remove all traces of porosity. It took one of our high production, fab shop welders, to show us the way. "Turn it up and go just a little faster". The welds aren't as "attractive" as our test shop instructor is used to, but they pass tensiles and bends.

Anyway, thanks for the info. That site is now on my "Favorites" list.

I'll let you know how our visit with Lincoln turns out. I think our trip is scheduled for early July.

Charles
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-07-2003 00:40
Hello Lawrence!

I agree with you as far as Ed Craig site is concerned...
This site, his books, and video's are repositories for anyone looking for expert advice on MIG/MAG welding issues...

The Lincoln people know there stuff too!!! Did you try Miller or ESAB?

In fact Charles, you can ask Ed Craig's opinion on his website for that matter... Just make sure you're concise in your query... He will reply rather quickly...

In any event, Good luck to you!!!!!

Respectfully,

SSBN727 Run Silent... Run Deep!!!
Parent - By brande (***) Date 08-10-2003 03:48
Keep in mind, too the The Aluminum Association, located in Wasington, DC "IS" the final authority on aluminum welding. Some of Frank Armeo's co workers at Alcoa have served on their committees. Frank may have as well, I don't know for sure.

They have a number of good, informative publications available.

Their "Welding Aluminum: Theroy and Practice" is one of the best books on this subject I have seen. They updated this text a few months back and it is available and should answer all your questions.

Good Luck

brande
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Aluminum welding