Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Upgrade holding up test scoring
- - By gijoe4500 Date 09-17-2018 17:53
I got an email saying that my CWI test scores are being delayed do to a "systems upgrade".  Does anyone know what they are upgrading that slows down the scoring of a scantron test?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-17-2018 20:11
New hamsters need to be trained to power the dynamos.

Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-17-2018 22:29
I will now proceed to sound like a broken record since this question sounds like a broken record:  There is a lot more than just a simple scantron of CWI exams.  Especially the Part B.  Regardless of popular opinion, not all the weld molds are identical.  Not all the exams are the same.  Why do you think they take care to have you enter the test book code, exam kit code, and other information on the scantron answer sheet?  When people challenge a question, it makes a hand check required.  Then there is a stack of paperwork and computer entries to record all scores, status, order stamps and wall certs and wallet cards from outside vendors that AWS is not in control of, etc. 

It has appeared that is mostly taken care of but there may still be some fine tuning.  When did you take the exams?
Parent - - By gijoe4500 Date 09-18-2018 13:41
I took the exams on 9/1.  I didn't mean for my question to sound like I was bashing the test scoring process.  I am just legit curious as to what the upgrades would be.  I have scored tests that have various test versions, etc. so I do understand the reasoning behind recording all the information from the test samples, booklet number, etc.  From my experiences though, that information only ever needed to be addressed if there was an issue that was found with the test.

Granted, I also don't know how many people take this test, and others, on a given day, so I don't know have any clue what kind of backlog there is.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-18-2018 14:19
I would not be surprised if you get your results by the end of Sept.  Last people I talked to who took recent tests had their results in less than 4 weeks. 

The hold up with all the change over was more extensive than it was thought to be.  Changes in an operating system to an organization as large as AWS and with as many programs as are involved mixed with anything that slows the moment of change down by a day or two really messes with all the new applications for seminars and testing, online classes, registration for conferences, and so much more.  Playing catch up is a disaster.  But, they appear to be getting a handle on it and gaining everyday on the backlog.

The hopes are that the new system will bring things in even faster so that results are within two weeks instead of 4-6.  Originally, we used to wait 8 weeks or more and the paperwork and stamp were another 2-4 weeks after that. 

Change can be frustrating until all the bugs are worked out.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Upgrade holding up test scoring