Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Miter
- - By HAFHARVARD (*) Date 09-26-2018 19:43
Hello all. Is there a limitation on how much you can miter a 45 elbow?(e.g. you can miter a 45 into a 30 but can not miter a 45 into a 20). I was asked this question and was told they were working under api1104, I glanced at 1104 but did not find anything. Maybe I skippe over it or if anybody knows if it’s in a different code/standard. Thanks in advance.
Parent - By hanahana Date 10-03-2018 06:30
hello....I agree with the first reply
- - By Paladin (***) Date 09-29-2018 01:33 Edited 09-29-2018 13:01
I'm curious about this too.
I don't know the answer.
Next week I should see some of the locals gas company inspectors and will try to ask.

I've cut down more that a few fitting to make some odd angle turn.
It could be that the problem would be the inside welds would be too close together and heat input in that narrow area too much.
Or the two inside welds are touching at some point.

I can't recall ever needing to just make a 20 degree turn.
There is a bit of no mans land area there where its not enough angle to cut down a fitting, to great an angle to bend pipe, or not enough length for pipe to comfortably bend, or cheat the fit a bit (not that I would ever do that).

But I have had to turn more than 90 degrees at least once, a 90 plus a cut down 90 or 45, whatever was available.

Floyd
Parent - By jarsanb (***) Date 10-01-2018 16:19
- - By Paladin (***) Date 10-02-2018 00:40 Edited 10-07-2018 21:18
I was able to talk with a local gas company inspector. We are talking API 1104, the code that the high and mighty here seem to sometimes sneer at.
The inspector said that the procedure was the inside (throat) welds could not be closer that 1 inch.
So it would depend on the size of the fitting.

As for as the chart that jarsnab supplied, the second link, I have my doubts.
I did not look at all but for instance 4inch pipe @ 15 degrees.
The chart say 2 5/32 for the OUTSIDE arc, and 3 1/32 for the INSIDE arc. Nope!
The outside has to be greater than the inside. Some of the other numbers don't seem right either.

I've always used a percentage of the angle and have not had much issue with the inside diameters not matching,
within 3/32 hi lo.

By percentage I mean;
If I have a 90 and need to make a turn of only 75 degrees I divide 75 by 90 and get 0.83.
I want to use 83% of that 90.
Lets just guess that the outside stretch out of a 4 inch 90 is 13 inches. 13 times .83 is 10.79.
So mark at 10.79.
Inside stretch out (also a guess) is 6 inches. 6 time .83 is about 5 inches. Mark that on inside stretch out.
Cut the fitting thru those points, grind a bit and tack it up.
The above mentioned chart shows that exact procedure. I've just generated the numbers by a percentage of the angle.

With a standard fitting and relative thin wall pipe, one can and or needs to bevel the inside of the fitting, or use a pup transition .

Floyd
Parent - By yojimbo (***) Date 10-04-2018 19:48
Harvard-

I can't say it was decided with a code book in hand but I was instructed to turn a couple of 30" X .875 wall 45 fittings into a 25.5 degree fittings when doing the Cheyene Wy. compressor station on the Rocky Mountain Express line around 2007.  The station was being built by a long term and experienced contractor, Ranger Plant Construction, and this work, all API 1104 was their bread and butter.   The GF was a lifer who knew his stuff, so if they were cutting any corners on those fittings there was never any squawking about it afterward.  Interesting question though, would be glad to see what the code states specifically- if it's addressed at all.
Parent - - By HAFHARVARD (*) Date 10-05-2018 22:28
Thanks for the replies. I agree that the welds being to close together would present problems. I noticed you said the gas company inspector said it was mentioned in the procedure. Do you think he meant the code or his own gas companies procedure?
Parent - By Paladin (***) Date 10-07-2018 21:09
I understood that it was company policy.

I will ask more next time I'm in the inspectors office.

Floyd
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Miter