Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / How do I become a Certified Welder?
- - By ME97 Date 09-27-2018 16:07
Hi everyone, new to the forum.

I am a 22 year old living in SoCal, who just lost his job rebuilding/repairing motorcycles. I have a fair amount of experience welding with both MIG and ARC welders, and after a layoff, and change in living circumstances, I have decided to try and use my experience for the better and try and find some work welding!

My only issue is that alot of the work in the area requires AWS certification and typically a LA welders certification as well, which begs the question, should I go to a school nearby to freshen up for these tests/certs or should I try to pass these by myself, if its even possible?

Some people told me to attend a local community college, others told me to go to a direct welding institution like fabtech or Summit colleges, I just haven't a clue as far as whats the preferred choice as far as value for education.

Some personal experience or help would be greatly appreciated!
Parent - By mariagarcia (*) Date 04-09-2019 11:17
Welders may be employed in the automobile industry, shipbuilding, building construction, or any other type manufacturing career.In order to become a welder, a high school education is essential.Many high schools offer courses in welding and metal fabrication.You can also join 6  month course to fulfill your career and  learn a wide range of Welding processes and techniques for construction, repair & fabrication and can earn more than 12 certifications.
- - By sinacedo Date 10-06-2018 05:29
how can I get a free training welder school ...pls help I want to be a certified welder
Parent - - By Lee Renville Date 10-06-2018 15:08
I dont know about free schooling, but I do know there are many options for funding for welding school.  First, you have to do some searching but there are all kinds of scholarships related to field of welding.  The Pell Grant is available.  Also government student loans do not require a co-signer unless you are under 18 years old.  But most of all there are a number of full-ride scholarships and agencies wanted to fund students for all fields of work.  I hope this helps you ...

Lee
Parent - - By sinacedo Date 10-06-2018 20:32
is it easy for me from Nigeria Africa to get scholarship fund .....I HV just completed a welder skill apprenticeship training here....but need height certificate ..like CWI...Ndt....how can i get help ....any link pls
Parent - - By Lee Renville Date 10-06-2018 21:03
https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa  https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/statistics
Here are a few websites to help you get started on finding funding for school.  One web site is for federal student aid and the other is for department of labor which has programs and funding for individuals like yourself.  I am also a student and I,m supposed to ask a question about the AWS D1.1, D1.1M 2015 code book.  Do you have any experience with this code book and do you have any ideas on how to navigate through this book to find answers to test questions.  I propose this question to anybody that takes the time to read this.
Parent - By sinacedo Date 10-07-2018 04:40
thanks ....I don't hv experience on this code book ....pls and how can I get links on CWI and NDT welding books and material online
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / How do I become a Certified Welder?