Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / fillet weld test
- - By SWN1158 (***) Date 10-03-2018 21:37
A CWI still wants the welders certified for multi pass welds, even though there are none on the project.

It is my understanding that a successful passing of a single pass fillet weld test in D1.1 also qualifies a welder to weld multi pass fillet welds. Is there something in the code that supports this?

I see in “4.12 Fillet Welds, 4.12.1 Type and Number of Specimens. Except as permitted elsewhere in Clause 4, the type and number of specimens that shall be tested to qualify a single pass fillet weld and/or multiple pass fillet weld WPS are shown in Table 4.4. Qualification testing may be for either a single pass fillet weld or multiple pass fillet weld or both.” What is the significance of “Except as permitted elsewhere in Clause 4” ? Does it have any bearing on my issue?

My interpretation of this whole issue is that again, the successful passing of a single pass fillet weld test also qualifies a welder to weld multi pass fillet welds, but ….. there must be a multi pass fillet weld test to qualify a WPS, as indicated in Table 4.4, which refers to Figure 4.15 Fillet Weld Soundness Tests For WPS Qualification.

The welder does not actually have to take a multi pass fillet weld test, which the CWI insists on. The welder just has to follow the WPS that’s created from successful testing for multi pass fillets. 

Any thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 10-03-2018 23:17
As I keep stating over and over if an inspector gives you his/her "opinion" it is worthless.
Ask them politely to show you in the code or project specifications where it is required.
A WPS requires separate tests ( single pass / multi pass) - a welder qualification does not.

Have a look at the essential variables for Welder qualification - nothing mentioned regarding changing from single to multi pass or vice versa.
Many codes (BS/EN and AS/NZS) do list this as an essential variable so maybe he/she is confused.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By SWN1158 (***) Date 10-04-2018 01:11
Thanks.

I already checked the essential variables before I posted, and it's not there. I think he's trying to read something into the code that's simply not there. I already know that an inspector's "opinion" is worthless. The bottom line is, the work either meets the code, or it doesn't. Personal opinion means absolutely nothing. I just wanted to know if my interpretation is correct or not, and if not, what is correct?.......

(1) My interpretation of this whole issue is that again, the successful passing of a single pass fillet weld test also qualifies a welder to weld multi pass fillet ) welds, but ….. there must be a multi pass fillet weld test to qualify a WPS, as indicated in Table 4.4, which refers to Figure 4.15 Fillet Weld Soundness Tests For WPS Qualification.

(2) The welder does not actually have to take a multi pass fillet weld test, which the CWI insists on. The welder just has to follow the WPS that’s created from successful testing for multi pass fillets.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-04-2018 11:38 Edited 10-04-2018 11:58
You are right Scott !

This one is a can of corn.

A groove weld qualifies for ALL Fillets.   So a fillet test is not actually required for performance qualification.

When a fillet performance qualification test is *desired* the code Clause 4.21.2 directs to table 4.11 right ?

Table 4.11 provides the ONLY three test assembly options for fillet weld performance qualification
1) Fillet Break assembly Figure 4.25  with a 5/16" single pass
2)  CJP Groove with Backing Figure 4.22
3)  Pipe   Fig 9.21

AWS D1.1 does not authorize any other performance qualification tests for fillets... Zero, none, zip, nada.

It's not about "interpretation" my old friend Scott....  It's about reading what is written and obeying it.

Edit:
Having said that:  It is very important in my opinion to be sensitive to fillet weld quality and AWS is lax here.   Anybody who has been testing welder performance for a reasonable amount of time has encountered very experienced welders failing fillet tests when they easily pass groove tests. 

I think the CWB has the best performance test assembly out there right now.   It's a single bevel that requires a split root and a stop/start on the root pass fillet, with 3 bends strap coupons instead of two, with one of the bend straps dedicated to destructivly testing the stop/start point.  

This test assembly provides qualitative testing on a groove and a multi-pass fillet in a single assembly.  It requires a specific size and placement of the root fillet and a code enforced hold point for inspection of the root fillet.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / fillet weld test