Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / PROJECT MANAGER TRAINING
- - By ididntdoit89 (*) Date 10-08-2018 17:57
According to AISC I have to conduct yearly training for a lot of different people at my job to maintain our Simple Bridge Cert. Im looking for suggestions as to what I can train project managers in. Im very new to this and have never taught a class before, but this only has to last 30 minutes. Thank you all in advance.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-08-2018 21:00
I never had to train our project managers under the AISC certification. When did they start this, or does your quality manual say something to this effect?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-08-2018 21:07
Maybe pick a topic out of your quality manual and just go over the basics of that topic. (ie welding/fabrication, or application of coatings, etc...) Pick a new topic over the course of the next few years to keep the training going and then start back over as refreshers.
Parent - - By ididntdoit89 (*) Date 10-08-2018 22:14
its a requirement because we have the Simple Bridge cert.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-09-2018 11:48
I'm just asking what part of the AISC program is this requirement from?
I have been involved with Building and Bridge AISC certifications for several fabricators and helped all of these people become AISC certified so I'm familiar with them. I'm apparently overlooking something in the training of personnel as we have never had to show annual training for the project managers vs documenting their qualifications in the company's quality manual. Production personnel is another matter and the annual training requirement is understood.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-09-2018 16:05
In other words:

John  diddn't do it

See what I did there ?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-09-2018 16:12
:eek: LOL
Parent - - By ididntdoit89 (*) Date 10-10-2018 22:34
AISC 207-16 Certification Standard for Steel Fabrication and Erection, and Manufacturing of Metal Components.  December 5, 2016.   Training Sect. 1.18 states that personnel responsible for functions that affect quality, including, but not limited to, project managers, field/shop supervisors, detailers, inspectors, welding personnel, fitters, painters, riggers, signal persons, and crane operators, shall receive appropriate initial and periodic documented training.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-11-2018 09:52
Okay, I see what they're saying.  Yes, each department can train its people. Maybe we flood the auditors with so much info they didn't notice the project managers. Although, we have other departments conduct the internal audits on other departments so I suppose you could count that as training too.
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 10-11-2018 11:52 Edited 10-11-2018 11:54
Just thinking out loud....

Project management focuses on breaking down tasks and monitoring them against Cost, Scope, Schedule (Project Management Triangle).  Quality is in the middle of the triangle because all 3 can affect it.

I would add the triangle to your slides to your 30 min presentation.  In class, have the Project guys tell you how the 3 affect quality (classroom participation).

Tyrone
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-11-2018 12:58
Nice reply Tyrone. :cool:
Parent - By ididntdoit89 (*) Date 10-11-2018 19:29
thanks guys
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / PROJECT MANAGER TRAINING