Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Qualification Responsibility
- - By Colej Date 10-09-2018 21:57
Hi i am currently a welding and manufacturing student working towards my 2 year degree in welding. I am currently in a code class we are studying D1.1 I am having a hard time understanding clause 4 section 4.2.2.2 it says that each manufacture or contractor shall be responsible for the qualification of welders. I thought it was the welders responsibility to keep track of his or hers own qualification or certification?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-09-2018 22:13 Edited 10-09-2018 22:26
Hi Cole,

"clause 4 section 4.2.2.2 it says that each manufacture or contractor shall be responsible for the qualification of welders." -quote Note the word "shall"

Just like it states, the Manufacturer or Contractor are the ones who need to make sure their welders(employees) are qualified to perform the necessary welding. Most companies that hire welders will administer a welding test to any applicants applying for a welding position within their company, regardless if they come in the door with a briefcase full of certification papers.
Parent - - By Colej Date 10-10-2018 13:28
Hi John,

Thanks for the reply i now understand that the word shall has a different meaning towards the subject!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-10-2018 13:48
Take note of words like "shall" as the code makes those statements mandatory, vs "may" as then the statement is mearly a suggestion.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-14-2018 01:18
Keep in mind that per a number of welding standards, the welder qualification is not transferable to a new employer. Even D1.1 makes the acceptance of previous welder qualification the prerogative of the Owner as exercised by the Engineer.

The employer is responsible for the work performed by the employee. Most reputable employers are careful about accepting welder qualification issued by another employer. How would the new employer know with any certainty the welder was properly tested and evaluated? Where the bend tests bent and evaluated properly? One never knows unless ……….

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Qualification Responsibility