Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / AWS D1.1, D1.1M 2015 Question
- - By Lee Renville Date 10-10-2018 00:19
I am a second year student and I am studying code books trying to learn how to navigate and interpret the information.  My question is does anyone know how to navigate and interpret this information as it pertains to test questions and to just plain wanting to get a better understanding on how to find what I'm looking for.  I've tried tabbing sections, writing notes, highlighting, and plain ol' trying to read every piece of information.  As I sit in this particular class I am just above failing.  So any help would be greatly appreciated.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-10-2018 11:04
Lee the best advice I have is to read the dry, boring book. It will be a chore, but it helped me when taking the code book exam. Reading through it will help you figure out where everything is in the book, then you can study the questions being asked and know where to go to find the answers. Example: What is the minimum fillet weld size for a 3/4" diameter stud when manually welding the stud? Since the question is talking about stud welding, you know to go to Clause 7 and start looking for the answer.
Another example How much preheat is required to weld, using a low hydrogen process, a 2" thick ASTM A 572 gr 50 base plate to a ASTM A992 column shaft with 1" thick flanges and 5/8" thick web? The question is about preheat so you know to look in Clause 3 and find the Min. Preheat and Interpass Temperature Table to look it up
- - By Lee Renville Date 10-10-2018 13:52
I would like to thank you for your time.  I've had a very hard time trying to find the information I was looking for and my course grade reflects that, but the more i have to go into the code book, the better I get on finding what I'm trying to find.  I have just one more question.  Why is a vertical up that has uppercut able to be repaired vertically downwards when preheat is in conformance with table 3.3 but not lower than 70 degrees F.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-10-2018 14:29 Edited 10-10-2018 15:08
Hi Lee,
I'm out in the field today but if you check the Commentary in the back of the book, you can get an idea of what the codewriter's thoughts are on some of these codes when they pen them down.
Parent - By Lee Renville Date 10-10-2018 15:12
Again thank you so much for you thoughts and advise on the questions I posted.  I truly believe this site is very informative and helpful and I again appreciate the replies and advise
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / AWS D1.1, D1.1M 2015 Question