Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Prequalified WPS
- - By Pawndave (*) Date 10-12-2018 21:17
Hello,

I apologize if this question is in the wrong section,

Im wondering how i go about buying a pre-qualified WPS  For D1.5 from AWS?

Thanks
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-13-2018 00:15
Hi Dave,

Your question itself demonstrates that you need more help than a WPS if you want to do bridge work.

No disrespect intended.   You can’t buy a prequalified WPS for D1.5 or any other code.   That’s just not how it works mate :)

1st you need a copy of the code.

It might be wise to hire a consultant to get you through your first bridgework Procedures and contracts.  Do it with the understanding that you want to learn to the point you can do the development in-house when allowed by the code.
Parent - - By Pawndave (*) Date 10-15-2018 14:50
Hello,

I guess i could have worded that a little different. Im looking for a SWPS as noted in 5.9 in D1.5, i guess my real question is how does a person go about buying a SWPS from AWS? I've wrote many WPS's but never bought one and my client would like to buy one.

Thanks
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 10-15-2018 18:38
See this link from the AWS Bookstore -

https://pubs.aws.org/t/procedures
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-16-2018 13:11
Beware of D1.5 limitations on Both Engineer acceptance of previous WPS's  (SWPS) which will not provide the PQR's behind them, and the limitations on what type of WPS's may be prequalified in D1.5

It would be wise to pass this SWPS idea by the authority in jurisdiction to see if they will accept or not.

The Engineer may accept evidence of previous WPS or
pretest and verification qualification testing, provided (1)
the PQR (procedure qualification record) is complete and
shows compliance with the requirements of these specifications,
and (2) the results of the tests are certified as
accurate by a state representative or an independent third
party acceptable to the state.
- By giaonhan247 Date 03-07-2019 02:28
hi
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Prequalified WPS