Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / vent hole
- - By H.K.R (*) Date 10-15-2018 04:49
hi all
is there any limitation to make vent hole on reinforcement pad as per pipes or nozzles size
one inspector inform me from 3'' and above you have to make vent hole on pads
less than no need
thanks please if this mentioned in any standard or codes make me know
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 10-17-2018 15:23
H.K.R
it depends on the code of construction you are under (COC) As an example, if your under API 650 then it's 1/4" Telltale hole. Three reasons for this Telltale or what some call a weep hole. Also can look at ASME Sec VIII for more info.
1. When welding a reinforcement pad you build up pressure. This acts as a relieve for that pressure build up.
2. Also, it can act as a tell if the shell is thin and could leak.
3. Also allows you to leak test the repad.
Hope that helps.
Parent - - By H.K.R (*) Date 10-18-2018 06:41
thanks for replying
our tanks under API 650 there is many nozzle (2",1.5" ) without tell tale hole when i am asking i got info that the nozzles size from 3" and above should have tell tale hole for reinforcement pad and less than 3" no need to make hole on reinforcement pad
i checked through API 650 i didnot find any info which is commanded to make hole for specific size

my question is as per API 650 is there any explanation or limitation to make hole for R.P as per nozzles size
thanks
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 10-21-2018 11:07
H.K.R,
As I have said over and over again.
If someone tells you something and it will affect your work ask them to tell you where it is noted - in which code or specification and where ?
The difference between someones personal opinion and actual code/specification requirements can be huge.
Regards,
Shane
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / vent hole