Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding+pipe fitter
- - By bobbarly Date 10-29-2018 14:12
Recently at my High school welding class a person came in representing a company that’s offering to train us to pipe fit. I have heard conflicting stuff on just how useful a welder who knows how to pipe fit. It a class that will require me to go 2 days a week for a semester and it is completely free. Should I take this or no? What’s your opinion?
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 10-30-2018 11:21
You should jump on it. Check out the company on the internet to make sure they are on the up and up.
Companies are feeling the pain of Welder shortages.  They are going to great lengths to promote and lure folks into the welding world.  This will also give you an idea if you will enjoy welding full time and give you time to think about recruitment into the armed forces.

Tyrone
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 10-30-2018 11:59
Yes, no doubt about it, jump all over it.
Combo hands (fit and weld) get hired before others, remain on site when others get laid off, and can get paid more.

Tim
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-30-2018 17:44
Never turn down an opportunity to learn something new. Even if you never become a fitter, the knowledge is transferable to other related fields. Hell, you might even learn how to read a measuring tape, layout a miter, and so much more.

Knowing how to weld is important, but so is learning how to use equipment and tools used in industry.

Al
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-31-2018 10:55
I agree with the others...take every opportunity that is offered. Knowledge...hard to put a price on that.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding+pipe fitter