Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding sheet steel to Supporting member.
- - By Jbest Date 10-30-2018 11:24
I have read through the D1.3 codebook and cannot seem to find any information on a limitation of the thickness of welding sheet steel to supporting member. My current WPS is maxing it out at 1/4 of an inch; we need to increase this. I know I will have to do some additional work prior to just sending it to the shop floor. Can someone please point me in the right direction? or should I be reading something else in D1.1 as well?  I will be welding  7 gauge or thinner to  C channel that is .38 thick.  A clause or the right book will help me I can find it from there........... I think.

Thanks
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 10-30-2018 11:56
D1.3 thickness of the sheet is regulated as per the PQR essential variables  in table 4.2.
Thickness of the supporting structural member is not an essential variable.

In relation to the structural member, D1.1, for example, shows in table 5.7 the minimum allowable fillet weld sizes based on material thickness. Note b however states that the minimum weld size need not exceed the thickness of the thinner part joined.

So, when detailing weld sizes in this case, use a size equal to the sheet thickness and you'll be covered, regardless of supporting structural member thickness

Tim
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding sheet steel to Supporting member.