Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / New welding qualification
- - By crugg65 Date 11-07-2018 01:53
Hi guys, I’ve been working for a distribution natural gas company for twenty years and been pipe welding for fifteen of those years. My welding procedures calls for 6010 series welding (downhill) and my colleagues and I do our annual 12” branch and butt fuses. Our local state regulatory agency wants to get away from the 6010/7010 series rod due the inherent defects/problems that can arise from its use; I honestly and my colleagues feel this is hogwash and not too happy with this and is definitely another post that we can visit another time. The reason of my post is has anyone ever heard of a welding qualification that calls for a 12” vessel ( pipe) filled with water and the branch test is performed using 7016 uphill root and hot pass with 7018 fill and cap? If so what is the name of that test? Also a second water filled vessel (12” pipe) and a 12” split sleeve longitude fill and circumference welds. I can’t seem to find any info on this. I see a lot of info on the branch and butt welds that my welding teammates complete every year but nothing like what I previously explained. My welding supervisor also wants us to circulate the water through the two pipe vessels via a small water pump! We are very fustrated and looking for some input and guidance. Thanks again!
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-10-2018 13:32
The welding standard cited is API 1104 for in-service welding.

The newer high strength steels used for pipeline applications have higher carbon equivalencies due to the increased alloy content. They are more susceptible to delayed cold cracking due to hydrogen.

The attached photograph depicts hydrogen off gassing from a weld deposited using E6010. The sample in the back ground exhibiting no gas bubbles was welded using an E7018 that was fresh from an electrode oven set to 250 degrees F to ensure the electrode is “dry”.

Al
Parent - - By crugg65 Date 11-13-2018 02:18
Al, thank you for your post and your link to the demonstrations of hydrogen gas being expelled from welded samples . I googled “Hydrogen off gassing from metal “ and found the article from April 2007 on AWS.org! Lots of good and yes it makes me want to do my own science experiment with Johnson and Johnson’s baby oil! Lot of us older welders are not big on change and new procedures but that’s how it is I guess. Thanks again. Chris
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-13-2018 03:38
It caught my attention 30 years ago! The first time I saw it, I was mesmerized! All that gas from a short weld bead and it just kept coming and coming! It makes you think of how small the hydrogen atom must be to pass through solid steel.

The demonstration doesn't work any wheres near as good with the new E7018-H4R because they are formulated to resist moisture pickup. I have to say, the new flux works pretty good.

I've seen the demonstration on U-Tube as well. There are several fellows that have put it on the internet.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / New welding qualification