Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / AWS D1.8 and the AISC Appendix W Seismic Provisions
- - By SWN1158 (***) Date 11-09-2018 19:45
We’re starting a project soon that has to meet AWS D1.8 and the AISC Appendix W seismic provisions. The job specs require the electrodes to meet or exceed CVN toughness values of 20 ft lb at -20° F, and 40 ft lb at 70° F for Demand Critical welds, in accordance with 7.3.b Appendix W; and 20 ft lb at 0° F for all other welds. We’re currently using Peak ER70S-6 GMAW .045 wire with 90/10 gas shielding. My concerns are...

•  Does this wire meet CVN values of 20 ft lb @ 0° F (for welds other than demand critical)

•  Does this wire meet CVN values of 20 ft lb @ -20° F, and 40 ft lb @ 70° F (for demand critical welds)

•  Does this wire meet H16 diffusible hydrogen requirements (16 mL maximum diffusible hydrogen per 100 grams of deposited weld metal)

•  Does this wire meet the heat input envelope testing requirements of AWS D1.8, 6.3.5 Annex  A for demand critical welds.

John had responded to an earlier post and stated that “solid wire can’t absorb moisture out of the air”, so the diffusible hydrogen testing requirements of AWS D1.8 Table 6.3 are non-applicable.

I’m having trouble getting definitive answers from the electrode supplier after I emailed him these questions, and I will greatly appreciate any thoughts or comments. We’re considering using Lincoln Metalshield MC 706, which is D1.8 friendly, and just may eliminate my concerns.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-09-2018 22:32
No flux to absorb moisture with solid wires. MCAW is one I'm not sure about, as it is a cored wire, so there may be a potential for moisture pick up if not stored correctly<--I'm asking because I don't know.

Keep an eye on your shielding gasses for moisture contents(dew points). Gas supplier should be able to help you with that.
Parent - By SWN1158 (***) Date 11-10-2018 12:08
Ok John. Thank you :)
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / AWS D1.8 and the AISC Appendix W Seismic Provisions