Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / As we move a day closer to Veterans Day....
- - By SWN1158 (***) Date 11-10-2018 18:12
We can clearly see that some veterans bear visible signs of their service... a missing limb, a jagged scar, a certain look in their eye. Others may carry the evidence inside them... a pin holding a bone together, a piece of shrapnel in their leg, or another sort of inner steel... the soul’s ally, forged in the refinery of adversity. Other than parades, the men and women who have kept America safe, mostly go unnoticed. So who are these veterans? They're the cops on the beat who spent six months in Saudi Arabia sweating two gallons a day making sure the armored personnel carriers didn’t run out of fuel. They're the barroom loudmouths, whose juvenile behavior is outweighed a hundred times in the cosmic scales by four hours of exquisite bravery near the 38th parallel. They're the nurses who fought against futility and went to sleep crying every night for two solid years in Da Nang. They're the POW's who went away one person, and came back another... if they came back at all. They're the Quantico Bay drill instructors that have never seen combat, but have saved countless lives by turning slouchy, no-account rednecks and gang members into Marines, and teaching them to watch each other’s backs. They're the soldiers who pin on their ribbons and medals with prosthetic hands. They're the older guys bagging groceries at the supermarket... palsied now and aggravatingly slow, who helped liberate a Nazi death camp and who wishes all day long that their wives were still alive to hold them when the nightmares come. They're the ordinary and yet extraordinary human beings, who offered some of their most vital years in the service of their country, and who sacrificed their ambitions so others wouldn't have to sacrifice theirs. They're the finest and greatest testimonies on behalf of the finest and greatest nation ever known. So let's remember, each time we see somebody who's served our country, to just say to them, "Thank you." These two simple words will mean more to them than any medals they could have been awarded or were awarded. Just two simple words that mean so much.... "Thank you".
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 11-12-2018 12:27
*Like*
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-13-2018 17:07
Very good.

A
- - By smerbficket Date 09-14-2019 10:33
So who are these veterans?
Parent - - By SWN1158 (***) Date 09-16-2019 10:41
I’m not going to justify that absolutely ridiculous question with a response. Oops. I just did.
Parent - - By WeldinFool (**) Date 09-16-2019 18:30
I absolutely love what you wrote, Scott. We should re-post this every year.
Parent - - By SWN1158 (***) Date 09-16-2019 19:29
Thank you !! I do repost it :)
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 09-17-2019 03:30 Edited 09-17-2019 03:40
Thanks for propping your self up Scott...saves me the trouble of like trying to catch you when you fall down.  It is like those stupid trust/team building exercises the HR lady makes a big deal about...well what if I do not like that person...what if I do not want to catch them.  I think you are infringing on my personal rights and space by trying to make me do that...there are no safe spaces in this company!!!  I know that guy has personality cooties and you cannot make me! Besides my dollar store Buddha statue told me it was a scam!!! My lawyer has your contact information......

I totally agree!  As first generation German immigrants my entire family, every male to the letter served in WW2.  Odd as that is. Two of my brothers served in Vietnam (ARMY).  (edit) My father served as an MP in WWII for the entire war.  I made an attempt but passed because I could not physically pass the requirements to be a pilot in any Branch.  Bad on me. On a daily basis I get out of line and pull service men and women into my place in line.  I shake the hand of every person I see in fatigues or otherwise can tell they are armed forces members. Not to brag on what I do at all.....I wish WE all did that.  I listened closely to my uncles and brothers and the stories they had to tell that maybe a young fella should not hear.  I do not give a whip if they served fueling trucks or planes at a base at CONUS or they served overseas at a station or in a combat zone.  They all deserve your respect and your thanks when you have the opportunity to give it.  So please do so...you have no idea how much it means to them!

My $.02
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / As we move a day closer to Veterans Day....