Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Fumes and respirators
- - By 49DegreesNorth (**) Date 06-13-2003 19:33

I just talked to the "respirator guy" here at the University of Washington regarding the proper respirator for welding. His comment was that really all you need is a particulate respirator, as the so-called metal "fumes" are really particulate metal by the time you get to breathe them. Of course, if you were using flux then you should probably use a charcoal and particulate filter.

Does this sound right to the welders out there?

Thanks,
Chris
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-13-2003 19:51
Chris,
We weld mostly all non-painted mild steel and don't use any type of respirator. However, we do get pieces hot dipped galvanized and have to weld them onto the main members. For this we use a disposable 3M respirator to keep the welders from getting the the ole' yellow-green flu. The respirator we use is 3M's #8514, and #8271. It fits under your shield with out interfering with flipping it up and down. The guys seem to think they do a good job filtering out that dreaded yellow-green smoke.
Hope this helps,
John Wright
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-14-2003 00:04
Ozone and otyher gases are sometimes formed with GTAW and GMAW that cannot be filtered out. I just downloaded an article from the National Institute of Health at

http://ntp-server.niehs.nih.gov/htdocs/Chem_Background/ExSumPdf/Weldingfumes.pdf

This goes into detail about some of the hazards and testing that has been done related to welding fumes. Very interesting reading from what I've seen.

I use a P100 respiator made my 3m and another made by North. They eliminate the black stuff in my nose. The paper N95 respirators don't but the conditions I work in sometimes have NO ventilation and are usually confined.

Have a nice day

G Austin
http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Fumes and respirators