Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / SAW fused flux pock mark porosity problem
- - By Mayur (*) Date 11-15-2018 10:10
Dear Experts,

We encountered problem of porosity ( size 2 - 3 mm dia ) like holes on surface of weld bead and local depth depression marks ( size 4 - 6 mm ) on the surface of weld bead. Even when removed slag is broken, it is found that slag cross section is not solid throughout but some voids, bubble like voids pockets were found in slag. When I searched for solution for this defect, I could not find any authenticated literature or article having information regarding the same. Going through opinions of welding experts in discussion web forums, I come to know that this defect is pock mark defect d caused due to limited scope to escape for the gas produced during welding and it is trapped causing pock mark porosity. I could find for corrective actions like increase current ampere and reduce travel speed to increase heat input, reduce flux height. I implemented these corrective actions and found success in defect free welding. This was practical approach to solve the problem.

But I am looking for a literature or article for pock mark porosity defect in SAW welding with fused flux. I would be thankful, if anybody can share me such literature or article having information for the same on my mail id :   mayur211092@gmail.com

mayur211092@gmail.com

Thank you.
Attachment: SurfacePockMarkDefect.jpg (852k)
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-16-2018 20:44
I believe pockmark is slang for elongated porosity. It is most often associated with FCAW, but I can see where it could happen with SAW as well.

Al
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 11-29-2018 12:50
Hello Mayur,

I see you found the forum discussion on this from 2007. Glad it was helpful.
The archives of this forum are a wealth of knowledge.

I'm not aware of the literature that you are searching for, but would request that if you find it, please share it here if you can.

Thanks,
Tim Gary
Parent - By Mayur (*) Date 11-30-2018 03:28
Dear Tim Gary,

I think you have also encountered the similar welding problem with SAW.

I would be thankful to you if you can describe the problem you encountered, how you approached for the solution, root cause, remedies, any reference related to such problems in SAW.

Thanks,
Mayur
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / SAW fused flux pock mark porosity problem