Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 81 Lincoln sa 200
- - By Wesley lowe Date 11-20-2018 21:32
Bought this machine not running and had no fire. Installed new plugs , points, and condenser. Set the flywheel at TC on the mark and also set the mag and governor at the correct positions w rotor pointing at number 4. Tried setting the points at .015 and .012. And Still no fire. I’m stumped. Have power at the on on / off switch and starting button. Is there something I’m missing here.
Parent - By Paladin (***) Date 12-01-2018 02:39
My apologies for a 10 day late reply. Mostly work, very little internet.

The only thing can offer is that for the 30 plus years I had a 1971 SA200 every time it would not run, other than drying out the distributer after a very damp night,  it was the magneto. I've had it where I could see a spark (with a plug pulled and touching the engine)  and it not start. New or rebuilt mag, fires right up.

The BEST thing I ever did was install a Pertronix electronic ignition. Same with my old 8N Ford tractor. Starts every time.

Someone with more knowledge of magnetos will have to suggest any trouble shooting or fixes.

I still have the 1948 Ford, not the Lincoln.

Floyd
- By FixaLinc (****) Date 01-03-2019 01:10
Take the kill stop wire off of the magneto.  Then if it runs and fires you have a bad switch or wiring to the switch.  The on / off switch should have one wire that is grounded to the panel and other goes to the magneto.   You said have power to the on / off switch and if you have 12V battery power there that should not happen and battery voltage has fried the coil in the magneto.  Magnetos make their own power and should never be connected to any battery voltage !  Just grounding the kill terminal on side of the mag will kill it for no fire.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 81 Lincoln sa 200