Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Typical AWS minor defects finding
- - By Giornelas Date 11-25-2018 03:10 Edited 11-25-2018 03:14
Per AWS D1.1 table, 6.1" Visual Inspection Acceptance Criteria", visual criteria for different defects are defined. But, If I consider a repetitive incidental of defects in an assembly, what is the minimum length that I have to consider a  defect  ( undercut, excessive concavity or porosity) as a Major defect rather than a typical defect? What is the minimal length of the weld which an NCR  has to be opened? Is there a classification for "Typical AWS minor finding" on AWS D1.1?
For example in this criteria below, I believe that 6 inches are too much, what should be the reasonable length? 1 inch?? And Why?

Undercut, excessive concavity, or porosity requiring weld repair in excess of 6 inches in length, deposited metal in excess of 50% the weld thickness shall be considered as a Major Repair.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-26-2018 08:41 Edited 11-26-2018 08:46
“Minor defect”  Is not a term used in the D1.1 code.

If the discontinuity  exceeds Table 6.1 acceptance criteria it is NOT INCIDENTAL according to the code.

If it is a defect in accordance with table 6.1 than it should be reported as a defect, and dealt with in order to make the weldment acceptable.

You may certainly make your internal quality manual more strict than the code, but I doubt you will find an Engineer of Record or a Principal Engineer representing the owner who will put their seal on acceptance criteria that are less than what is provided in table 6.1 as a systematic part of manufacturing.  Some engineers are willing to accept defects on a case by case basis after reviewing the defect and the risk involved in leaving it unrepaired.

6.1 does provide “maximum” allowances under various loading for both porosity and undercut.  It gives depths and lengths which are acceptable.  It also makes provision for undersized welds in various conditions.

If you are looking for lesser acceptance criteria, AWS D1.1 may not be the specification you are looking for.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Typical AWS minor defects finding