Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Arc control setting
- - By Savanvickle Date 12-05-2018 15:37
I have a xmt 304 cc/cv power source with a s74 mps plus running L56 45 wire with 98/2   im wondering what the arc control will help or effect any
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 12-05-2018 20:49
Arc Control on this unit affects the frequency of the pulse cycle.
Turning it up increases the amount of pulses per second, which also increases heat input.
Down is the opposite.

Tim
Parent - - By Savanvickle Date 12-06-2018 14:22
Pulses  as for pulse welding im doing mig
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-06-2018 14:58
What we have here is a failure to communicate and another example of the need to use standard terminology.

I had a fellow welding in the vertical position using "pulse" because he repeatedly pulled and released the trigger on the "MIG" gun. At least, that's what he told me when I asked him, "What in the hell are you doing?"

Wouldn't it be nice if we all spoke the same "language" when it comes to welding?

Al
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-06-2018 18:15
I'll get into this too.  Though I rarely disagree with Tim  :)

The Miller website did not even have an operators manual listed for s74 mps  so that has me a bit confused.

Most s74 feeders are designed to work only with Invision power supply.

But the XMT 304 does have 74 series synergic feeder options.

The "Arc Control" dial, on any 74 series feeder,  when using GMAWP is similar to "Trim" control on a Lincoln.

The Arc Control dial is used to fine tune Arc Length.    Higher value increases arc length and lower value decreases arc length.    While PPS may be a part of this, it has a negligible impact on "heat" or current delivered at the arc.   WFS is still the main control for current.

When using the same power supply and feeder for traditional spray transfer the "arc control" knob controls voltage.

In *most* Synergic GMAWP,  the machine brings the values close, Meaning: when the WFS is increased, the voltage/Trim/Arc control is automatically changed to match, in accordance with an algorithm.  and then some fine tuning of the arc control can increase performance.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-06-2018 18:23 Edited 12-06-2018 18:26
I guess we are all assuming (except Al)  that you are talking about controls on the wire feeder.

The XMT has several knobs as well... Including an inductance control knob (which is inactive during GMAWP)

Terms and definitions indeed.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-06-2018 18:32
"The Arc Control dial is used to fine tune Arc Length.    Higher value increases arc length and lower value decreases arc length."- L

Isn't this the job of the voltage knob? :razz:
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 12-06-2018 19:49
So, I'm getting kind of old and senile, and it's been a while since I ran a XMT 304, but...

Miller's "Arc Control" feature is for pulse frequency.
The "Arc Adjust" feature is for arc length (Lincoln's "Trim").
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-06-2018 19:57 Edited 12-06-2018 20:00
Great find Tim

I stand educated and corrected.

The operators manuals I scanned seemed less detailed that the thing you shared.

Glad you did, although I am a little confused as to where the "arc control" feature is located on the XMT or the 74 feeder.

Is this one of those Miller features where you have to hold down three touchpads for 5-7.3 seconds while at the same time stating your Home address in Portuguese ?
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 12-06-2018 20:43
Now I'm getting confused...

I've only used a S-74 MPA feeder once during an equipment demo, years ago, so I'm not real familiar with all of the function controls. I thought the arc control was on the power source and arc adjust on the feeder, but that does not seem to be the case.
Looking at the Owner's manuals, it seems that this feeder uses pulse as an after-thought so adjusting the Arc Control may be "one of those Miller features where you have to hold down three touchpads for 5-7.3 seconds while at the same time stating your Home address in Portuguese". I don't see a clear indication of use in the manual...

Tim
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-06-2018 18:35
"I had a fellow welding in the vertical position using "pulse" because he repeatedly pulled and released the trigger on the "MIG" gun."-Al

You can get a higher pulse frequency when extra caffeine is added. :grin:
- - By Savanvickle Date 12-06-2018 20:40
I am talking about the arc control knob on my power supply
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 12-06-2018 20:47
Does your power supply control panel look like this?

(pic from the XMT 304 owners manual)
Parent - - By Savanvickle Date 12-06-2018 21:11
Yup
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-06-2018 21:23
The plot thickens

"When Pulsed MIG or one of the TIG modes is
selected, this control is not functional."

This is what I read as well.
Parent - By Savanvickle Date 12-06-2018 22:09
Yea im using just plain mig
Parent - - By Savanvickle Date 12-06-2018 21:16
But mine is labeled  arc contol
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 12-07-2018 17:59
I'm thinking there may have been a mid-production stream model change or revision, which might be why the manual I looked up does not include more "Arc Control" related info.
Get the serial# from your power source and wire feeder, input them separately in this search function -

https://www.millerwelds.com/support/manuals-and-parts

and this will pull up the right manuals.
If the info your looking for is not in there, give Miller a call.

Tim
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Arc control setting