Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / welding in "K Area" of WF shapes ??
- - By wjason25 Date 06-14-2003 21:36
Is it standard practce to trim the corners off of continuity and stiffener plates to avoid welding in the "K area" of WF shapes? I have seen several sets of specs in which welding in the "K area" is prohibited. But what if the issue is not addressed in the specs. Does anyone know where to look for this in the code? I have been all over the D1.1 and ASD and cant find anything. The closest thing I have found is FEMA-353, 5.6.. And it has to do with required NDE. I have had several inspectors tell me that welding in the "K area" is prohibited but no one can give me a refrence to back this up.

The "K area" is illustrated in the AISC materials section and is the radius where the web meets the flange.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-16-2003 12:27
wjason25,
I know this doesn't exactly answer your question, but one of the reasons the inside corners of full depth stiffeners get clipped is that it is easier for the fitter to fit the stiffener in the beam. A simple clip of the corners also help to keep water from being trapped in the web while loaded on trucks waiting to be shipped. If the piece gets hot-dipped, the galv.'ing don't get trapped and build up around the stiffener as bad. Most stiffeners should get a 1/2"x1/2" clip off the corner, while bigger section beams with larger "K's" might get as much as 3/4"x3/4" clipped.

In regards to the "K" area,
I know AWS is concerned with flame cutting in that area of group 4 or 5 materials and requires more stringent NDT and Inspection. See AWS D1.1:2002 Para.5.17.2.
John Wright
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-16-2003 12:39
Also, I've noticed, particularly in the larger sections, there is "junk"(for the lack of a better word) and voids in the area where the flanges and web meet. I find this "junk" and such when I UT some full pen joints on large sections. The welders would sometimes call me over and show me "junk" that they found when preparing a joint for a full pen. weld.
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / welding in "K Area" of WF shapes ??