Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.1 Bend Test Qualification
- - By theunDerD0g98 Date 12-14-2018 03:03 Edited 12-14-2018 03:33
Hey all! I just tried the D1.1 3G↑ bend test for the first time ever and no surprise, I failed. The course instructor noted that my root pass was good, but my fill and cover passes were poor mostly because I didn't account for the heat from previous passes. That all makes sense, but he also commented that it was no big deal, that most rookies take around 8 tries to get it right. That seemed a little high to me, so I want to know: is that a realistic expectation that it would take me maybe 8 tries to get it right or is the inspector just pulling my leg and I took him too seriously? By the way, the test was done with 3/8" x 3.5" x 7.5" A36 plates with 1/4" gap with a 1/4" x 1" x 12" A36 backing strip and again, in the 3g↑ position using 1/8" E7018 rods.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-14-2018 12:59
Hi Underdog,
My suggestion if the heat is hard to control, would be to start out with the plate fairly flat and be successful, then tilt the plate another 15° and weld out another one until you are successful at that angle and add another 15°...etc...etc until you are successful in any position. Make sure you set the machine hot enough to get the arc lit with a short arc and then maintain a short arc. Also try running straight stringers and leave the weaving alone. The weaving will add a ton of heat and you already stated that the heat from previous passes is catching up with you.

Keep after it and keep us posted as how you are making out with the 3G uphill.
Parent - By americaniron (*) Date 12-14-2018 16:03
8 tries is too many, you need to practice more before you test.  If you were paying for each failed test you would be broke.
Cut and look at your practice plates, let the plates cool inbetween passes, most tests give you 3 hours-use the time to let your plate cool especially before your last pass.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-14-2018 19:15
Don't worry about the failure...  8 is a lot.. 1 is no worry for a beginner and let's just leave it at that.

I don't buy the "heat" thing...   It's a technique thing.

A 3/8" limited thickness plate of A36 base metal cant really be overheated with SMAW even if you make the next pass directly chipping and brushing the previous pass all the way out.   A one minute pause between passes and cleaning should be perfectly fine.    A36 is not going to get hard or soft because of SMAW welds being quickly placed... It just won't.

If you are running your 1/8" E7018 at 120 amps or less on the verticals I seriously doubt that the top of the plate is going to get so hot that the puddle is hard to control due to rising heat up the plate...    The loss of control happens with change in rod angle, as your rod angle becomes more steep (twisting your wrist instead of lifting your arm) the puddle gets longer and more teardrop shaped instead of nice and round..(((YOU CAN SEE THIS)))   It's not overheating .... It's technique.

Having said that...  This technique issue is a problem that pretty much every beginner goes through... And some experienced welders too.    Think of the perfect rod angle when you start..... When you get about 2/3 of the way up the plate, think again about that rod angle, to make sure you are keeping it right.

As a biginner you get stressed out about thinking all these things...  Rod angle, Arc length, Travel Speed, watching it all at once and making adjustments....  The good news is that much of this will become automatic,,, You will get used to seeing these things and adjusting without thinking much about it...  Experience...  

I bet you do fine.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-16-2018 00:55
Vertical uphill progression using 1/8-inch diameter E7028:

Most welders try to use the lower end of the amperage range and fight the arc all the way. Turn up the amperage to around 135. Keep a short arc. Weaving is fine unless the WPS is qualified for CVN and the heat input is limited. When weaving, hold the corners to permit the weld to fill and avoid undercutting the edges.

When you set up the plate assembly, tack weld the bottom and the top of the plates to avoid magnetic arc blow as you approach the uppermost two inches. "Grounding" the test plates both top and bottom reduces the current through each tack and reduces the magnitude of the magnetic field that causes the arc blow. Position the plate assembly between your belt buckle and sternum. You are less likely to roll your wrist and change the rod angle, which by the way, should be about 15 degree upward.

Good luck and practice, practice, practice.

Merry Christmas - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.1 Bend Test Qualification