Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Centerline crack in multipass weld LAS beadshape induced w/d
- - By Mayur (*) Date 12-15-2018 07:03
1. Can centerline crack ( bead shape induced centerline crack due to improper width / dept ratio ) in weld metal occur only in SAW and FCAW processes in case of multi-pass welding with low alloy steel welding material?

2. Can centerline crack ( bead shape induced centerline crack due to improper width / dept ratio ) in weld metal also occur in SMAW process in case of multi-pass welding with low alloy steel welding material in addtion to the same in SAW and FCAW processes?

3. I have gone through a literature about centerline crack due to improper width / depth ratio known as bead shape induced centerline crack. In that article, it was mentioned that if width to depth ratio of weld beads is not in proper range in high penetration processes SAW or FCAW, centerline crack may occur in weld metal or HAZ. But, I experienced crack in weld metal in multi-pass welding by SMAW with low alloy steel welding electrodes, may this crack occur due to improper width / depth ratio ? May improper width / depth ratio in SMAW process cause centerline crack in case of multi-pass welding?
Parent - - By Mayur (*) Date 12-17-2018 03:02
Experts please reply
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 12-17-2018 12:19
Short answer is that centre line cracking can occur in every weld process.

Tyrone
Parent - By Mayur (*) Date 12-18-2018 04:49
Request to provide me any article or literature for the same.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-18-2018 03:33
FCAW and SAW have the ability to produce a deep penetration that is greater than the width of the weld face, thus prone to the cracking you mention.

Other welding processes can under the proper conditions can also create a problem, but are less likely to produce the aspect ratio as susceptible to centerline cracking.

Concave weld profiles are also more prone to centerline cracking when compared to a weld face that is slightly convex.

Assemblies that are highly restrained during welding are also prone to cracking issues.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Centerline crack in multipass weld LAS beadshape induced w/d